pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Why no check valve on the return? IMO they're a great piece of mind especially if you like to keep your sump filled to the max.

Also, you don't plan on putting the bioballs back in do you? And if you could, it would probably be better to put the skimmer somewhere in the middle portion if it's possible, maybe hang it from the back of the sump

No the bioball are out for good. I can probably put the skimmer in the middle chamber but I was considering using that section for a future refuge.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Lose the brass, also, you may want to put live rock where the bioballs were and , the noise may drive you crazy. (I started out using a wetdry when I had my 55 MANY years ago and that was my biggest problem) Also, create a "lip" an inch below the top where the return connects and put another piece of eggcrate (so that it sits on top of the rock) then you can keep a filterpad there so that it serves as a "filter sock"

Alfred

Yep I threw some of my LR in the middle portion. Picked up a bunch of eggcrate too and will consider your suggestion.

Thanks

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Metal will corrode.

Gotcha. Thought brass would be OK. Will replace with PVC. Lowes didn't have the right fittings...that's why I went with the brass. The old fella I spoke with seemed convinced that brass is used in marine applications.

Will try Home Depot or a plumbing outfit tomorrow if I can find one open.

Thanks

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
i suggest putting the skimmer somewhere else, the output of the skimmer will cause bubbles to shoot in your return pump.

that brass valve in the return? Does that rust? I would get a plastic one

definitely shorten the drain hose and get a filter sock for the drain.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Not sure I'm confident about cutting that hose and getting is sealed up again. May have to replace entirely? Where exactly will this filter sock fit on?

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Brass is also an alloy of copper, while it will not be immediately deadly, eventually the copper levels absorbed by your live rock could become problematic. (Copper is the enemy of the invertebrates we keep in our enclosed "ecosystems")

Alfred

Gotcha. Thought brass would be OK. Will replace with PVC. Lowes didn't have the right fittings...that's why I went with the brass. The old fella I spoke with seemed convinced that brass is used in marine applications.

Will try Home Depot or a plumbing outfit tomorrow if I can find one open.

Thanks

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Not a filter sock, but if you put a piece of eggcrate you can lay a "filter pad", 100 micro on top of the eggcrate and swap it out with a clean one every few days.

Once you have several dirty pads just throw them in the washing machine with about a cup of chlorox (run the machine empty first to clear out the dirty water that is sitting in the machine from the previous wash that may have soap) and let them dry well.

Alfred

Not sure I'm confident about cutting that hose and getting is sealed up again. May have to replace entirely? Where exactly will this filter sock fit on?

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
ditch that crappy hose all together. and plumb it the real way with vinyl tubing extremely quick and easy. Vinyl is easier to disassemble with a plastic clamp in case anything happens

I would go with a filter sock. pads are a hassle IMO, some how find a way to put a filter sock in the drain, take a better pic of the sump and we'll figure something out

you shouldnt have spent a ton on that sump, any regular tank would have done with partitions. :)

Last edited:

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ditch that crappy hose all together. and plumb it the real way with vinyl tubing extremely quick and easy. Vinyl is easier to disassemble with a plastic clamp in case anything happens

I would go with a filter sock. pads are a hassle IMO, some how find a way to put a filter sock in the drain, take a better pic of the sump and we'll figure something out

you shouldnt have spent a ton on that sump, any regular tank would have done with partitions. :)

Is there a good link that will detail all the different vinyl or pvc components that I'll need to do the job?

Well the damage is done insofar as what I spent is concerned...now I just want to get this right.

Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You could do this, but there wont be much (if any) of a performance improvement. That hose will work well enough, you are better off focusing on building a baffle in the sump if there is not one. (I would have to look at the photos again, but need to get going soon)

A baffle forces water to travel "up and down" through sheets of PVC so that the bubbles have a chance to make it out before going back up to the tank. Your biggest bubble concern will be the water leaving the skimmer, so you want to position the skimmer as far away from the return pump as possible. The water making it down to the sump from the tank should be fine because of the filter pad and live rock...

Alfred

Is there a good link that will detail all the different vinyl or pvc components that I'll need to do the job?

Well the damage is done insofar as what I spent is concerned...now I just want to get this right.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
You could do this, but there wont be much (if any) of a performance improvement. That hose will work well enough, you are better off focusing on building a baffle in the sump if there is not one. (I would have to look at the photos again, but need to get going soon)

A baffle forces water to travel "up and down" through sheets of PVC so that the bubbles have a chance to make it out before going back up to the tank. Your biggest bubble concern will be the water leaving the skimmer, so you want to position the skimmer as far away from the return pump as possible. The water making it down to the sump from the tank should be fine because of the filter pad and live rock...

Alfred

Here's the sump I have...it has baffles.

megaflow3-1.jpg

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
So your return pump should go to the extreme right and your skimmer should be somewhere to the left of the baffles.

Alfred

I got ya. Should be no problem moving it...just wanted to leave enough room in that middle section for a possible refuge. Also, the PO4 reactor gives and takes from that same middle section.

Thanks

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just saw this. Did someone from the site really charge you $50 to come help you out?? Not very cool IMHO

Well I offered the $ so it's my doing I would think. In retrospect I wish I hadn't of course but my wife and I had just moved into our 1st home and I had exactly 1,001 things to do. I got the tank transferred from our apt in queens but didn't think I had time to figure out my 1st sump and wanted to get it right the first time.

But of course I didn't get it right. Now I have more time to research and do what I can to improve it.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
ok, well im glad it all worked out well. but, this site is predicated on reefers helping other reefers, not profiting off of them. you shouldn't feel like you have to compensate people for it.

pjewett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
ok, well im glad it all worked out well. but, this site is predicated on reefers helping other reefers, not profiting off of them. you shouldn't feel like you have to compensate people for it.

Thanks. :) With all of the folks who've offered to come by free of charge I've learned that lesson.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
NP. if you are ever in the city and need some frags for your new setup drop me a line. I will hook you up to help you recoup the 50 you spent.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: