shawn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
i have a reef tank with mostly sps and was woundering if i should continue to use the sterilizer.I was told that the uv kill alot of good bacteria that is needed for a reef tank

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Dispite the fact that some corals need good bacteria,plankton and dissolved organics etc.people use sterilizers to kill them.My soft corals look better without a sterilizer.I disconnected mine over three years now and i have seen bigger and faster growing corals.

Last edited:

seahunt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All public aquariums use UV and or ozone, if it was not needed to improve water quality why do they use them?

Free floating bacteria is not bacteria utilized by your system, killing them doesn't matter.

Found this info

"that is most copepods do not occupy the water column in a healthy colony. What is a healthy colony? This is a matter of opinion or experience, but from my perspective a healthy colony is “housed” in large piles of live rock crumbles where many fish such as Mandarin Gobies will seek them out. As well if you are using a Refugium and want to be certain that all of the copepods/ crustaceans that spill out into the aquarium are not killed, then be sure your UV is on its own filter/pump and not returning water to the aquarium using the same return line as the Refugium. Finally whenever you dose your aquarium with certain live products such as live planktonic algae or infusoria, you should turn off the UV sterilizer or use a timer that is tied to certain cycles or automatic dosing."

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: