D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I am considering buying a 120 rimless tank, I was going with two overflows, but Jared seems to think one overflow with a bigger drain is the way to go.

Opinions ?

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
OK, maybe I wasnt 100% clear. I am used to the idea of two drains and two overflow boxes. While he feels one bigger drain will not only give more room in the tank but be more than enough to be efficient.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I am considering buying a 120 rimless tank, I was going with two overflows, but Jared seems to think one overflow with a bigger drain is the way to go.

Opinions ?
One or two overflow boxes, bigger drain whatever, it dependes on the amount of water you are turning over.For example 600GPH 1 overflow box or small drain .1200GPH 2 overflow box or bigger drain.

Last edited:

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a single drain will be fine for your tank. a 1.5 inch is good. a 2" drain is plenty for your application.will you be adding a surface skimmer? i had a friend of mine make me a couple surface skimmer boxes for 2 drains i just put in the back of an 8' shallow tanki'm in the process of cycling. i'm sure he'll make you one if you throw him a couple bucks or a piece of coral or something (please excuse the sandstorm pic)-
overflow.jpg

modreefoverflow.jpg

fuglytank.jpg

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Ive really been considering plumbing it through the bottom of the tank, haven't really considered even plumbing it out the back just bc I am not sure I like the look and if the tank is ever going to be in a living room I hate when you can walk by a tank and see all the pipes running out the back its just not a clean look.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
plan on a cutom built tank ? if so just make the over flow box able to put 2 drains in it, one for use and one for back up or can if custom tank have it as a external which leaves you even more space

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: