Rating - 100%
103   0   0
hello to all my mh members just want to say happy holidays to everyone and hope every one enjoyed there turkeys any way in no way i here to say names or bash the person . but my thing is i brought 3 lyretail anthias female and 1 male one by one each one has being dying dont know y i feed my tank every day mysis , i only dont feed 2 days out the week , any way my thing is all 3 fishs ive noticed have been having cuts on there belly. i started to noticed recently there color looks fine but then i noticed a little blueish on there belly . i only have one left and i saw like a straight line cut and also the left fin is like broken up like a w shape, i only have 1 yellow tang wrasse and wild caught clown ive not seen any of my fishs mess with them. i have to say that the clown and wrasse was brought from a person from mh and i paid top dollars the clown was a trade . im sorry to say but i really think it has to do with the person u buy ur fishs cuz if they dont really take the time to acclimate there fishs ur have a problem when u get them home, i by no mean am i saying that the person i got them from is not doing there part but like i have to say u get what u pay for! for now on i guess im only going to by fishes by the person ive brought from even if i pay him double but at least i know that the ones i got from him they been with me for about 1yr and that says alot. i just hope no one takes this as diss.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
i have to keep it real and say its a vendor , i just think that as a vendor u really have to acclimate a fish and also make sure its been in ur holding tanks for a while so at least the fish has been eating and has been acclimated properly. im not going to tell u who to buy from cuz then im a dirty dude to do that but what i can tell u only is u have to do ur research . hope that helps

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Is it a yellow wrasse or a yellow tang? When were they added? What is the entire stock list of the tank? The straight line injury sounds like a mantis shrimp injury or an injury from the scalpel like appendage that surgeon fish (TANGS) have. If it is a tang how long has it been in the tank? Anthias have a tendency to pick each other off like chromis and damsels do however it seems like if you do have a tang, then it is the tang doing the dirty work. No need to blame anyone.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
in my 55 reef tank i have a yellow tang , malerus wrasse and wild caught clown and the anthias, ive had the tang for about 2 yrs wrasse 1yr clown about 3 mths my tang has never acted aggressive with any fish ive had .

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
all im saying is u get what u pay for. i paid money for my wrasse and clown was a deal that i was given for the great customer ive been with the person and like i said my tang came from a member

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
straight line cuts...sounds like the tang's caudal fin. How big is the tang? a 2year tang sounds big and maybe territorial issues with a 55g.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Lester - It is typical that established fish are usually the aggressors in a tank. It would be unusual to find a new fish exhibiting that behavior.

From the injuries that you are describing, Brendan is correct - tha tang is the murderer due to the 'blades' near his tail that he uses to defend his territory.

Nobody, neither MR member nor Vendor can tell you how a fish will react once it leaves their system. I know most of the vendors acclimate to food and for health reasons and they do a great job, but nobody can acclimate to personality. The responsibility for researching the 'typical' aggressiveness or behavior of a fish is up to the purchaser. There are 'fish compatibility charts' all over the internet but they are merely educated suggestions on what behaviors have been documented. It is a rule of thumb, not carved in stone. We know damsels are often nasty, we know maroon clowns have a bad reputation, we all know about 6 lines..etc.. all fish can fall in between friendly and nasty. No way to tell.

Some fish get nastier as they age. I had a Christmas wrasse that went ballastic on my other wrasses after living with them for 1 1/2 years..who knew? I had to re-home him. He was fine in the new tank.

I'm sure the vendor & member you got the fish from are not responsible - it is the fish themselves. Perhaps if you got them all at the same time or if they were all young it would be a happier ending...

Sorry for your losses.

NDY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
330   0   0
lester - it is typical that established fish are usually the aggressors in a tank. It would be unusual to find a new fish exhibiting that behavior.

From the injuries that you are describing, brendan is correct - tha tang is the murderer due to the 'blades' near his tail that he uses to defend his territory.

Nobody, neither mr member nor vendor can tell you how a fish will react once it leaves their system. I know most of the vendors acclimate to food and for health reasons and they do a great job, but nobody can acclimate to personality. The responsibility for researching the 'typical' aggressiveness or behavior of a fish is up to the purchaser. There are 'fish compatibility charts' all over the internet but they are merely educated suggestions on what behaviors have been documented. It is a rule of thumb, not carved in stone. We know damsels are often nasty, we know maroon clowns have a bad reputation, we all know about 6 lines..etc.. All fish can fall in between friendly and nasty. No way to tell.

Some fish get nastier as they age. I had a christmas wrasse that went ballastic on my other wrasses after living with them for 1 1/2 years..who knew? I had to re-home him. He was fine in the new tank.

I'm sure the vendor & member you got the fish from are not responsible - it is the fish themselves. Perhaps if you got them all at the same time or if they were all young it would be a happier ending...

Sorry for your losses.

+100

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: