jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hello. I am upgrading my tank very soon and am looking to find out what fish can go in a 50 gallon tank. I have researched my question online however, I usually get tank sizes that are either unrealistically small and seem inhumane to house a particular fish in or websites that increase the actual size of the minimum tank size needed.

I will have corals; as of now I have zoas, palys, chalices, xenia, leather, etc... I will have clams. I have 2 shrimp (blood and cleaner) and I currently have a flame angel and 2 oceallaris clowns. Oh, and snails and hermits.

I love the niger triggerfish (not reef safe though). I also love the hippo tang. However, I believe both need a 75 gallon tank. My LFS, Pets Warehouse, sells them as babies, but I want to keep them even in adulthood.

I've also always been fascinated by the volitan Lionfish however, once again I hear it may eat my other fish and outgrow a 50.

Any suggestions about fish? Thanks.

Justin

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I would stick with a bunch of small fish. blennies, gobies, clowns, cardinals, etc. maybe a flasher wrasse or something that moves around a bit more too...

as for tangs, i have 2 in my 150 and i think that its way to small for them. lions get too big, and even the smaller ones will eat most of the other fish and shrimp in your tank.

as for the minimum size tanks listed by vendors, i think you are right in not believing them. remember that even accurate tank size recommendations dont take into account what else you have in your tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: