masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If I am going to use the CPR CS 100 overflow box rated at 800gph, what rate/kind of pump should I get for my sump? My main tank is a 50 gallon.

Thanks

You can use a pump that corresponds to the flow of your overflow without fear of a flood (as long as your CPR overflow doesn't lose siphon).

The head pressure from your sump to your tank will also effect the gph of the pump you use. Not knowing how high you're pumping the water up from the sump, I can safely say you can use an 800 gph pump without any problem. You can likely use a 1000 gph pump if you're pumping up 3', have a true union ball valve in the return line, a 90 deg fitting or two, etc.

Russ

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Actually I am going to get an overflow rated for up to 300GPH.
I will be pumping approximately a little less than 5 feet. So what kind of pump would be good for this 300 GPH overflow?

THanks

Last edited:

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
once again mag 5, you plan to run carbon and or also phosban ? if so and i suggest you do, get a larger pump and make a manifold so you can run all the items off the pump

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I liked your plan of running an overflow with 800 gph rather than 300 gph. Even if you run the exact same amount of flow through the 800 as the 300, it gives you room for a potential clog and possibly not flooding. Better to have more overflow capacity than maximizing the flow within your overflow.

Hope that didn't confuse you.

Running carbon and phosban is not a necessity. However, IMO it is a good idea to run both. JMO

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: