alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
TZ5335.jpg

OK, the Jackson bug bit me, and I am likely going to finally add a protein skimmer to my system (so that I can add a higher bio-load).

However, I want one that is nice and small that can fit in my sump (no room for an external skimmer) and that is a simple plug and play (dont want to hassle with plumbing and all that). As such I would like a nice small and efficient skimmer.

I was deciding between the Deltec Turbo 1250 and the Tunze 9015 (brand new).

I am leaning on the Tunze and would be interested in anyone's feedback. This is a spanking new model and as such does not have any feedback yet on RC. This makes me more of a ginea pig when trying it out as it does not have a track record as the Deltec does. At the same time, Tunze is a reputable company, so chances are it will meet up to their reputation. It is also smaller than the Deltec, cheaper than the Deltec, rated higher than the Deltec, and inject more air than the Deltec. All this points me to the Tunze.

Let me know what you guys think...
p.s. my system has about 200gal.

Here is the link to it on Marine Depot.
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=TZ5335
The model series of the Comline DOC skimmers has been developed for an effective and modern protein skimming process in marine biotopes from 200 to 2,000 liters (52 to 528 gal.). They stand out for their compact dimensions at the same time ensuring a high foam cup capacity, and producing a very high throughput on account of their air capacity of 650 or 1,00 l/h (171 or 343 gal./h), for example, depending on the model. They can be placed directly in the aquarium or in cabinet systems with a variable water level.

At an immersion depot of 240 to 290 mm (9.4 to 11.4 inches), the Comline DOC skimmer models can be placed easily and discreetly in the aquarium directly. The inlet of fresh water can be set at between 5 percent and 70 percent. They can also be used in sumps with variable levels from 100 to 280 mm (3.9 to 11 inches). The accessories supplied have to be used to ensure the generation of a constant internal water level. The water circuit is totally open and operates at a fresh-water inlet of 100 percent; depending on model, a water throughput of 1,200 l/h or 2,400 l/h (317 gal./h or 634 gal./h) is achieved, distinctly improving the gas exchange in the aquarium.

In case of operation in sumps, the cartridge core on the outlet pipe ensures bubble-free outgoing water. Skimmer cup and foam reactor are one unit in all TUNZE DOC skimmers. Every cleaning of the skimmer cup leads to the reactor being cleaned at the same time, and thus a very constant and efficient foam production is ensured. During the cleaning process, the Hydrofoamer remains operational and automatically flushes the jet and the air passage.

Specifications:
  • Recommended for marine aquariums up to 1,500 liters (396 gallons)
  • Dimensions: 4.9"L x 4.4"W x 18.8"H
  • Water throughput: 1,200 l/h (317 gal./h)
  • Air capacity: 650 l/h (171gal./h)
  • Collection cup volume: 1.4 l (0.36 gal.)
  • In-sump or in-tank use
  • Power Consumption: 21W
How do you select the right DOC skimmer for your aquarium?

The Comline DOC skimmer with hydrofoamer has an open water circuit with can be controlled. Apart from the air output, the flow rate of the skimmer determines the output of the DOC skimmer. In addition, due to its biotope composition, every marine aquarium has a different sensitivity with respect to the organic load. Based on a standard marine aquarium with soft corals, the data on the suitable skimmer size may differ in other biotopes. For this reason, the aquarium volumes recommended for the skimmer should be reduced in case of sensitive biotopes.

Low Sensitivity
In soft coral aquariums with long-polyp corals and anemones, for example, the share in dissolved organic matter may be higher, sometimes it may even be vital. In this type of aquarium, the recommended aquarium volume can be used without deduction.

Medium Sensitivity
A medium organic stability is usually found in mixed aquariums inhabited with soft and stony corals (LPS). Filter-feeding animals, sponges, et cetera, are found there frequently as well. For these aquariums, a reduction of about 20 percent of the skimming capacity is calculated. A skimmer for 1,000 liters (264 gal.) should thus be used for an aquarium of about 800 liters (221 gal.) which has this kind of reef design

High Sensitivity
Aquariums with primarily small-polyp stony corals (SPS) require an especially high degree of purity. They should have no load of phosphates or nitrates worth mentioning. Good oxygen saturation and very clear water are the prerequisites. Comline ODC skimmer is also often used as a ?stand-alone? solution in these aquariums. This type of aquarium should be reduced by about 40 percent in volume for the skimmer volume mentioned.

High Sensitivity and High Load
Hard coral aquariums with a high population of fish require an extremely high skimming capacity. The skimmer has to ensure the degree of purity for the hard corals at an above-average high fish load. If the Comline DOC skimmer has to be operated as a ?stand-alone? solution in these aquariums, a high-performance is required. This type of aquarium should be reduced by about 60 percent in volume for the skimmer volume mentioned.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just crawled through several german reef forums and it looks like you got a winner. I am a huge fan of deltecs but judging by what people have said on the forums go with the tunze. The people that hav e left feedback all had a simmilar setup. full sps reef ranging from 150~300 gallons. All were utilizing the ozone injection port which I think is a very nice feature. They all said it pulled nog right out of their system. Easy to use. And they all commented on how quiet it was.

All that and only using 21 watts and rated to 400g.

Ill keep searching for more cause this skimmer is still very new.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Albert I don't have experience with either one of those skimmer but I'm sure they'll both do a great job. You're going to be amazed at what a quality skimmer does for your reef. Good Luck!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
21 watts is a winner in my book.

I'm amazed they got the foot print so small with such big production.

21 watts, 21 watts, 21 watts, that just sticks in my head.
if your going to have something going 24/7 365 then 21 watts is very attractive.

Albert did I mention I like the part about 21 watts, now I'm obsessed :D

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
hermangareis said:
I just crawled through several german reef forums and it looks like you got a winner. I am a huge fan of deltecs but judging by what people have said on the forums go with the tunze. The people that hav e left feedback all had a simmilar setup. full sps reef ranging from 150~300 gallons. All were utilizing the ozone injection port which I think is a very nice feature. They all said it pulled nog right out of their system. Easy to use. And they all commented on how quiet it was.

All that and only using 21 watts and rated to 400g.

Ill keep searching for more cause this skimmer is still very new.

wow, thanks so much! (too bad i dont read german)

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Albert I don't have experience with either one of those skimmer but I'm sure they'll both do a great job. You're going to be amazed at what a quality skimmer does for your reef. Good Luck!

it's all your fault!
you now owe me $427.33

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
jhale said:
21 watts is a winner in my book.

I'm amazed they got the foot print so small with such big production.

21 watts, 21 watts, 21 watts, that just sticks in my head.
if your going to have something going 24/7 365 then 21 watts is very attractive.

Albert did I mention I like the part about 21 watts, now I'm obsessed :D

keep in mind it does all that on only 21 watts!

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm think about switching over my Euro-Reef as it's putting additional heat into my tank. I have a Tunze 240/3, I think that was the model, well it was the large model, and it worked very well. Anone know if these new Tunze models put out less heat than the Euro-Reef?

The only thing I didn't like about the Tunze skimmer was the air intake always made a whistling sound which you could hear in the next room.

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
does anyone have any sites or forums that talk about this skimmer? In german, or what not.. I can use a translator to read.. I want to get as much info on this as possible...

Albert, did you get any other info on this?

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
The tunze mod on rc recommends the 9010 for bb tanks. Supposedly the 9010 skims wetter and its also cheaper.

Last edited:

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
i'm not sure if the 9015 is stronger then the 9010.... the water output and the air intake on both are the same. it seems as though both pumps used are identical, just the size of the body and collection cup are different. the tunze mod claims the 9015 produces a drier skimmate and the 9010 is wetter.

imo wetter is better for bb =)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: