beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
With the exceedingly high prices on chalices and zoas, (are acans still hot or are they, like, totally last month), I'm just wondering when people's eyes start rolling back into their heads.

So let's have it. What's your price point for a coral. Will you spend $800 on a one eyed chalice, or do you max out out $10 frags?

Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on the holy grail, so forget about a one eyed chalice. I tend to stay on the cheaper side and let my frags grow out, unless it's a very slow grower. I don't have a problem spending $60-$80 on a big lobo as a showpiece, but a zoa polyp or 1/2" frag of SPS I try to keep to $25-$35.

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I start double guessing myself when I pay spend more than $50 on any single livestock item--- fish, coral, invert...

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I started laughing the first time I saw a 1 inch chalice frag for $100. A few years ago you could of bought a 6 inch colony for $40. In a few years the price will be way down. The only thing sillier than chalices is spending uber $ on Super Rare Ultra Colored Limited Edition zoanthid polyp.

But hey, if you got the cash and that's what you want to do with it, knock yourself out.

sharkbait69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I buy what?s nice, I have paid a little more then my wife needs to know about.
I hate the designer name that everyone gives a coral to amp up price. Purple hornets this, mummy eye that, pink boobie this. I could see if someone was in a lab making the coral but they are not. Some island slave got pushed off a boat and told don't come up till you have a cool coral. So in so in Cali wants cool coral to rip other hobbyist off with.
sure, i pay the price for a coral. As it grows, I share the coral within my local hobbyist.
My goal is to get a coral to grow. when it gets bigger i frag it out and sell it off cheaper then i paid for it. I may have been known to pay anywhere up to 400 for a frag but it grows and i sell 4 frags for a 100 i made my money back. I like to think i help spread the coral around and drown the retail raping he hobbyist all for a name.
I can't wait for the new coach chalice or Gucci acan. My wife will really be into the tank then.
Not naming names but look at certain coral hacker that has a picture with some island slave. He?s all ah smile while poor islander looks like she?s got a gun pointed at her from behind the camera.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no one wants to spend alot of money on anything, but you get what you pay for, some thing's are way over priced to me, so i just dont buy them. as corals become abundant the price drop's, alot of chalices grow really slow hence the pricing,

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
So you're saying guns don't kill people... expensive corals kill people? lol

I agree with you on the designer names though. I personally like the look of some of the expensive corals, but it doesn't take away from the look of the less expensive ones I like.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
oh no not the plagued xenia, fun my azz to watch, watch it take ur tank over lol. in general if you want something with bright colors and good colors your going to pay more, in recent years as importers begun to realize what these pieces are selling for they have raised prices as well, which is trickle effected down to us

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
most i have spent on 1 live item was $250 and it died 3 days later lol, then a pair of flames $250 died 3 days later, then $100 for a 8 line flasher wrasse died 3 days later, lol usually no more then a $100 for something for me

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: