PAT.RICCARDELLI

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon tenacore with built in overflows,
i just changed my wt dry filter and installed 2 950 gph pumps
in it and the water drains down into sump at such a rapid
rate that the air bubble get pumped right back into tank.
Note: I hag a 30" sump prior with 1 950gph pump and the
other pump was a 580gph pump. Now the new sump is 26"
and has 2 950gph pumps. What do you guys think i can do to
eliminate the bubbles without regulating the pumps so i can keep the flow. I tried putting some sponges in the sump and that did not work either. Thanks.

dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I agree with junglebase. A filter sock should fix the problem. Just note that they need to be cleaned at least weekly so buy a bunch so you can swap out the dirty socks with clean socks. Filter socks can be cleaned in a washing machine with bleach, but no detergent.

PAT.RICCARDELLI

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input on this, i tried to build a bubble trap with some filter matelial i got it better but not perfect.
What i did find out is that the fiter is rated for a 900gph
pump and i have two of those. Maybe that is the problem
but i will try a filter sock.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Can you post a pic of your sump?
Some members might be able to suggest where you could add baffles to slow down the water flow/bubble issue.

Just a heads up, but do you really want THAT much water rushing through your sump?
My point being that the 'flow' you want in your DT, should be limited to the DT through use of powerheads or a Vortech type device. You are going to have a huge amount of evaporation with flow running to your sump like that and spend a bunch of time topping off or even just refilling your top off unit :(

Perhaps you can redirect one of those pumps and use it to feed some other equipment...like reactors, chiller (when you need it ;)), UV light, direct feed to your skimmer...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: