ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Does anyone do this on MR?

Just curious to see if this has worked on systems within the MR community. I know every system is different and results vary.

In theory this should be better than just regular water change since you are replacing nasty skimmate water with clean water as opposed to just replacing water in your system that has not been skimmed out.

If anyone is doing this please comment.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to RC

http://www.reefcentral.com/wp/?p=397

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
EC,

I used to do this on my old tank when I ran a beckett skimmer. IME it is definitely pulling out more organics than just siphoning out regular tank water.
I think turkey basting the rocks or blasting everything with a powerhead to free detritus, then siphoning up the mess is probably the most effective way to remove wastes with water changes.

Here is my small water change via wet skimming. It's been a couple of years but I remember thinking the tank look more clear after the WC. If you look at the stream coming out of the skimmer cup drain, you can how fast the fluid is coming out. A little time consuming :)
0684450b.jpg

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Rich

Thanks. That was quick!

Did you notice decreased phosphate and nitrate levels with this method versus just regular changes? Or were your phosphates and nitrates always at a low level?

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I wasn't able to notice a change since no3 and po4 was already very low. It did seem to polish the water though....kind-a like when you run new carbon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: