richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I bought my first pair of percula clownfish from a member here and they had amazing colors - intense orange with defined dark black outlines. Unfortunately, one of them jumped and so I was left with only one. I then went to petland and bought another percula clownfish. However, when I put him in and compared, this ones color was very pale and not as intense. So I assumed that it must be because I feed pellets that say that help with coloring. Few weeks later, the color difference is quite dramatic. So now I am wondering. Are there color differences within a specific species?

The clownfish are false percula clownfish

Last edited:

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
There are color differences between a false perc and a true perc, the true perc will have the deep black outlining the white stripes..then of course you have the australian black and white version of the false perc...either way they should get along fine together.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
these are animals and there is always going to be some natural variation. feeding a varied diet will help bring out the best colors in fish, but some will always have brighter colors than others.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I bought my first pair of percula clownfish from a member here and they had amazing colors - intense orange with defined dark black outlines. Unfortunately, one of them jumped and so I was left with only one. I then went to petland and bought another percula clownfish. However, when I put him in and compared, this ones color was very pale and not as intense. So I assumed that it must be because I feed pellets that say that help with coloring. Few weeks later, the color difference is quite dramatic. So now I am wondering. Are there color differences within a specific species?

The clownfish are false percula clownfish

Yep.

There differences can be further accentuated by diet, lighting, and time of day. Think of it like dogs: even among purebreds, there's a wide variety of colorations and markings.

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Ah ok, I just don't like the huge color difference between the two clowns =\ and the amount of black lining and finnage is different too. Hopefully it will even out with the food

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Since you have different species, the color differences long the stripes will never change. the orange color of the ocellaris may very well get deeper in time, but within limits.

My A. o. clowns have a rather brilliant orange hue on their bellies shading to a kind of darker, burnt umber color dorsally, so they look like they were left in the oven a bit long. %)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: