janey

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I have a 65 Gal tank downstairs and a 24 gal nano upstairs. Why am i losing so much water through evaportion , say about 1/2 gal of water everyday ?

I thought i would have this issue in the summer , not winter .

Also can someone recommend a good Dehumidifer for me to buy ??.

All my windows, in the house , are coated with moisture due to excessive
evaporation.

Thanks

Janey

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Janet,
Natural evaporation will occur more so in the winter because of the lower humidity due to the cold and also because your water temp is probably higher then the room temp.
Some will evaporate more water in the summer due to forced cooling such as fans directed at the surface of the water. If you take the same tank and use no fans in your setup during the warmer weather, you will evaporate more water in the colder weather.
I have a fish room so I utilize an exhaust system to keep my humidity down but I still have sweating windows and sometimes walls where the exterior walls are unless I keep the humidity down to 35%.
As for dehumidifiers, I use to have the Kenmore/Whirlpool brand but that model used a lot of energy and put out a good amount of warm air. It's like an portable air conditioner without the benefits of the cold air output. I switched to a Bionaire dehumidifier for the room adjacent to my fishroom.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: