pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
My alk is going from 10dkh at nite to 8dkh by morning. Some of my acans are taking a beating but everything else looks good. I have clams zoas acans palys some leathers. 4 of my acan colonies are not expanding and my 2 brains are not expanding. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Are you using a Calcium reactor? If so, you need to slowly adjust the drip rate & bubble per minute to match your uptake needs of the tank.

8 DKH should not be critical. Natural Seawater levels are at about 8 DKH but we tend to keep it higher to stablize the PH. I've had my Alk drop down into the 6's when I neglect to test for months without seeing any real damage to the corals.

Last edited:

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My alk is going from 10dkh at nite to 8dkh by morning. Some of my acans are taking a beating but everything else looks good. I have clams zoas acans palys some leathers. 4 of my acan colonies are not expanding and my 2 brains are not expanding. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Do you have a relatively small, moderately stocked tank? If so is normal. It's partially due to the pH drop / CO2 increase at night, combined with lower evaporation causing your kalk system to top off less, and partially due to the fact that most stony corals do most of their calcification at night.

Running a macroalgae fuge can help. I've also had great results increasing my alk/pH stability by buffering my kalkwasser with vinegar. (I don't have a reactor, I just mix 5 gal water, a tablespoon of vinegar, and 7 tsp kalk and stick my ATO on it.)

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I agree with SevTT. It is normal to have your alk swing a little from morning to night.
Pete I have a tank full of SPS and my alk swings all over the place with no ill effects to corals. I would think your problem with more hardy acans lies somewhere else.

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
My nitrite, nitrate, ammonia, phos is all zero. I have a fuge running with chaeto with the light on at nite time. I have had this tank like this for a while with no crazy swings. I have a lot of corals. Only 1 sps. The rest are all lps. At first I thought the problem might have been the addition of gfo to my system as the problem started around then (2 weeks ago). I have since removed the gfo out of the reactor. Also I don't use co with my kalk reactor. It is a stirrer used with the ato.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
My mag is 1500 and calcium is 600.
i'm sure you're already aware the cal. is kinda high....the numbers don't seem to make sense. what are your normal alk and cal. # before all this?
my alk and cal. # seem to go up and down proportionately. but i've never use a kalk. reactor....just out of curiosity what is your ph at the time you test these parameters.? when do you measure them...in relation to your photo period? btw what is your total volume?

Last edited:

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
My total water volume is 250 gallons. I test morning and night. Ph stays at 8.3. My cal has always been high. Alk was 9.5 ish. Mag has always been 1500 ish. I just don't know what happened.

i'm stumped....alk. may fluctuates.... but 2 whole pts. from light to dark period?....does the ph fluctuate with the alk.?
when does the ato pumps in the kalk.? do you have it on a timer? perhaps you happened to test right after the top off....the reading may be high(including ph?)....and then once it's all mixed in, then the alk. returns to your 8'ish dkh reading?

if you do nothing, does the alk. go back to 9.5-10 by itself?

Last edited:

pdnyc69

acan and zoa master
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
The ph is always the same. The kalk goes on with the ato float switch. I tried the let the alk curve back only to see it continue to go down to 7.0. This is driving me crazy. I just hope my tank doesn't crash

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: