nycdominicanreef

one frag at a time
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ok, im setting up my 75 and am watchin my 4 stage Ro/di take 5000000yrs to fill a 5 gal bucket. What will the short and long term effects be if i fill the tank with tap

DCG1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
181   0   0
ok, im setting up my 75 and am watchin my 4 stage Ro/di take 5000000yrs to fill a 5 gal bucket. What will the short and long term effects be if i fill the tank with tap

Do you have to replace the filters on the RO unit? 4 Stage should be working pretty quickly (in the grand scheme of things ... lol)

I fully agree with MJM ... just be patient ... it's going to take as long as it's going to take. Don't rush it.

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
ive used tap for years(over 10), tried rodi for a few months and saw no difference what so ever. i upgraded from a 44 to my new 90 and used tap. new york water is pretty low in nitrates(under 5) and pretty low in phosphates. As long as you have a good skimmer it should be fine. I use ro on my salt fish only tank, reef and fresh water tank and have never had a problem with it.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Master, why do you use ro on your fo, but tap on your reef?
I can see the use of tap for the fresh water tank as you would have to add elements to the fressh if you used ro water for it. But I am confused as to why use it for the fo, but not the reef. Kinda backawards if you ask me (no disrespect intended).

I use to use tap water for many years on all my tanks, and my salt water tanks sucked!!!!! Always battling algae in both fo, fowlr, and reef.
Don't believe me? Go look at my "Before and After" thread.....

Yes, waiting for water to be filtered through an ro/di or an ro is time consuming, and patience testing, but well worth it in my opinion...........................................................................................

Simon Garratt

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to highlight the dangers of unfiltered tap water in reefs. Even if you live in an area of good water quality, there are no guarantees over the long term that at some point you wont get a major contamination event. Tap water quality commonly varies massively on a daily basis, that instability and risk then transferes to your reef.

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/reefs-magazine/66906-when-murphy-comes-callin.html

regards

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: