AlexWasserman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi,

I have an older 265 gallon tank just waiting to be set up again. I'm missing lights, and a some filtration components.

Given that this is 84" long, I assume i'll need 2 sets of lights to go the full length. I want soft-corals at most, nothing more light-addicted that that, so was planning on T5s. However, would a single 72" metal halide set be more efficient than 2 48" sets of T5 (or PCs, etc). I had a set of MHs over a 125 that were pretty bright. Assuming I keep both ends clear of rock, which I'm planning to anyway, wouldn't the MHs do a good enough (or better job).

I'm also planning an RDSB. Any idea what size I'd need? I was planning on using a largish rubbermaid and a lot of cheap sand from Home Depot.

The tank currently has a wet/dry under it - I assume I'll be taking out the bio balls and replacing them with large bags of carbon. Anything else I should be thinking of? I have a UV and Ozoniser already to go.

Also, any votes on the Tunze Master DOC protein skimmers?

Oh, and we live pretty close to the shore in NJ. During the summer there are hundreds of crabs, hermits, snails etc. Are they safe to take and put in the tank? And the sand too?

Thanks,

Alex

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I knew of a 72" tank, with a 48" fixture in the center. Ends were a little dark IMO. I personaly don't think I would go with 2 48". I would do MH pendants.

Home Depot sand may be a problem due to high silica content.

I use UV. Think it does a good gob in killing anything in the water column.

Sorry... no experience with Tunze Master DOC protein skimmers. I use Bermuda Skimmers. I would go with the 8C.

Local crabs and snails are a problem. Could take a chance with the sand, but with all the pollution issues around here, is it worth it?

Sorry if it sounds like I am only giving bad news... Just want you to get that awesome tank off on the right foot.

Hope this helps...

AlexWasserman

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No, I understand. I think I'll go with the 72" and find T5s that fit. I'm somewhat concerned about electricity usage, having had it be pretty night in the past, especially with 3 MHs.

With a reef I'm not sure if I want it killing everything in the water column, are there any arguments each way?

I've read so much on here about people heading to the coast and grabbing sand and critters I'm never sure if it's fine or lethal.

No, advice is advice, and always wanted. I'd rather be prepared than hopeful.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hey Alex,
although I don't have to much experience I can definitely say that I would go with what has worked for others as a majority. Wouldn't really take chances like sand from homedepot or local livestock from beaches. I think it's alot of work running tanks as it is I wouldn't jeopardize it by taking any risks and trying things that are out of the norm.

Good luck with the build!

Jonny

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Silica sand has many supporters and detractors. I would not try it just because of the abrassiveness of it with my gobies as they sift. Also it scratches glass very easily even thought it's a rdsb you still want to take care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
With a reef I'm not sure if I want it killing everything in the water column, are there any arguments each way?.

There are. I am from the Pro UV camp.

I feel that to have a successful reef, you need to have it as similar to the ocean as you can. In the ocean, there is algae, aiptasia, cyanobacteria, etc growing everywhere. But we, as reefers, don't like the look of "those nuisances".

So I allow all types of algae and cyanobacteria and whatever else wants to grow; grow in my sump. Only thing is I don't want it getting into my displays, so on water return, I run a uv sterilizer.

This has been working for me for about 2 years now. And I have to say, I have had the most success with this tank after having fresh and saltwater tanks for over 20 years now.

images

This is only my experiment. Look around and setup your system how you see best. There are a lot of theories on UV. I know it has been discussed here in the past. I just can't find in now... :banghead:

ANYONE??? Links to UV pro-con discussions.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: