batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ok I posted before about my mag problem and was told to dose mag . So i dosed mag and test after test with less results . First tested mag it was at 900 ppm know after a 4 days of doesing and know at 300 ppm. Whats going on here I tried the Kent mag and nothing so i mixed up 3 cups of epsom salt a 5 cupes of mag flaked , and still nothing . Can somone please help me get my mag back up. But my dkh is still at 8 and my cal is 420 ppm. Please help me.

Tried 2 test kit with same results.

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Im using redsea mag kit just bought one 2 week ago and bought 1 today and the same thing. there knot exp . just ordered a salf mag test kit waiting to get it.
As for salt I was using bright wells and know using the IO salt i had .

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Im going to wait for the salf mag test kit. The redsea is garbage .I just mixed up some ro water and batch of TM pro reef salt and the mag tested very low with the redsea mag test kit . Its saying mag is at 200ppm . This test kit is garbage will never buy again.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
I think you are reading the results incorrectly. If that test kit requires you to do a titration, you read the amount of titrant you started with minus the amount you have left after the color has changed as the amount you have used. It sounds like you are just reading the amount left in your syringe.

greg 45

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Raising mag. takes time. Look a BRS they are a sponsor on this sight they tell you how to raise all paramaters. Purchase a good test kit.If you really want to save money on aditives purchase a good salt and do regular water changes.
BEST OF LUCK

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
The instuction one the test kit tell you fill the suring to 1.0 ml and start drip buy drip untell the color changes to blue and what every left in the suring divind it by 2000. There was a post for this test kit . And as far as i know im doing it right. I just order some B-Ionic Seawater Salt . Heard good thing about this salt.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would have the water tested with someone else's test kit before going crazy, and making all sorts of changes.
Had a friend crash his system making adjustments because of a faulty test kit.:(
I did offer to test your water with my salifert test kit.:)

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
yes I know i just got my salf mag test kit in so ill see whats up, will let you guys know.
And thank awibrady for offering to test my water. thats why i joined this forum you guys are great.

Last edited:

batt600

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90%
27   3   0
Ok tested my mag omg the red sea test kit was way wrong . my mag is supper high around 2000 ppm how do i lower the mag in my take would a water change do it.? I know i did it right because i tested my made up water i made to do a water change and the mag tested 1250 ppm.

Last edited:

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Ok tested my mag omg the red sea test kit was way wrong . my mag is supper high around 2000 ppm how do i lower the mag in my take would a water change do it.? I know i did it right because i tested my made up water i made to do a water change and the mag tested 1250 ppm.

I would think just do water changes without dosing mag, if your water change water is 1250 as you do changes itll slowly drop towards that level little by little- I wouldnt do anything drastic, which may make you overshoot correction then have to bring it up again.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: