• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
ok heres the situation 2 weeks ago i added a 90 refuge to my system before i did this everything was doing real good now i plumbed my 90 into the system with pvc pipe and glue i let the glue dry for about 20 minutes and rised it with fresh water then i turneed the system on and introduced tthe water from the 90 gal to the main tank my fairy wrasse started twitching and my dwarf lion was all messed up the other day the dwarf died his fins mealted and all my other fish were breathing heavy i did about 100 gallon water change in the passed week within 2 days everything looked fine this was 2 weekes ago now i had my 2 yellow tangs die so im thinking it was from the gue but my corals are open and the other fish seem to be ok i did feel some stray voltage in the sump but its gone now or at least i cant feel it im ordering a ground probe just to make sure can anyone figure out what happened before i loss everything oh and all my parametters are good

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Dude,

Sounds like a lot is going on there. Could be the stray voltage but it shouldn't have made the fish and what not react that quickly. What kind of glue was it that you applied? If you are referring to PVC glue you might have done it too quickly.

If you use glue in a reef and it contacts the water and you aren't sure if it's fully cured you have to make sure it has cyanoacrylate in it.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I would go ahead and get the grounding probe to be sure, but in my experience, stray voltage usually causes noticeable issues with the fish before it kills them. It also usually doesn't kill them that quickly.

I'm going to shoot down the PVC glue theory. I've worked with about 1 minute of drying time before putting it online and never had any ill effects.

What else was in the fuge that you added? Was there sand from another tank that could have caused a spike? Was the tank new? I just want to make sure you look at other potential causes and don't concentrate on one possibility.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I agree with Beerfish - not the glue, especially from how you described you did it - something else is going on here and it's more than likely due to something with the water.

What are your parameters?
What size is the DT?

You added a 90g fuge - that's a LOT of new water and keep in mind the fuge itself is going to cycle - lots of new bacteria growing on the walls of that sump and in the plumbing.

Fish that go from fine to dead in a very short period of time especially centered around a water change is often due to a fluctuation in PH. Did you check the PH of the new water in the fuge against what you had in your DT?

Am I missing something - you said you disconnected everything yet you still had stray voltage in the water? That can't be. Whatever you left plugged in (probably the heater as you didn't mention it) is the most likely cause.
Are your cords from the tank all plugged into a power strip? What kind is it?
Is the outlet you are plugging into grounded?

Sorry for all of your losses :(

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and get the grounding probe to be sure, but in my experience, stray voltage usually causes noticeable issues with the fish before it kills them. It also usually doesn't kill them that quickly.

I'm going to shoot down the PVC glue theory. I've worked with about 1 minute of drying time before putting it online and never had any ill effects.

What else was in the fuge that you added? Was there sand from another tank that could have caused a spike? Was the tank new? I just want to make sure you look at other potential causes and don't concentrate on one possibility.

+1 on the PVC cement.

I'm just having trouble understanding exactly what you connected to what. Was this a 90G refugium/sump that you just brought online to your existing system?

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question was heading in the same direction as Kathyc's. Unless your talking about a truly jumbo DT, 90G is a huge water change. You can get some parameters close, but it seems like this is just a case of one or more water parameters being out of whack when you brought the refugium online. Adding that much water to an existing system is just something you have to do slowly, and in phases.

bizarrecorals

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on stray voltage, it only takes few seconds to cure PVC cement, just out of curiousity, why do you have so many electricity problem?, you're working around water, just becareful, it may cause a fire also.

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
dude I told you yestarday when I came over I saw the laterial line in the blue hippo it is stray voltage, also run carbon in that reactor you showed me and you should be good.

also I dident think of it at the time now that I do I did see some algie on the sand llooked like borwn algie. I could be wrong. But that sump addon could have started a small cycle in teh tank but then you said your levels are fine. I would bring the water to petwearhouse and let them do a test to see just to make sure. having a second opion never hurts. I could test your water as well if need be.

Last edited:

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
dude I told you yestarday when I came over I saw the laterial line in the blue hippo it is stray voltage, also run carbon in that reactor you showed me and you should be good.

also I dident think of it at the time now that I do I did see some algie on the sand llooked like borwn algie. I could be wrong. But that sump addon could have started a small cycle in teh tank but then you said your levels are fine. I would bring the water to petwearhouse and let them do a test to see just to make sure. having a second opion never hurts. I could test your water as well if need be.

Not all lateral line issues are stray voltage, other possible reasons are deterioriating water conditions and incorrect diet.

You do need to do something immediately about the stray voltage but I still don't believe that is what caused your fish to suddenly die as it apparently was an issue for sometime.

Have you checked the voltage again after disconnecting the heater?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: