Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hello, my name is Rob S., I live on Long Island, NY. In Port Jefferson. I'm new to reefkeeping, I just set up a new 130d red sea nano 34 gallon system. installed a sump with a refugium section, still looking for chaeto for the refugium. The setup is 1 week old. I added 45 Lbs of live rock i bought from aqua hut in coram ny. also 20 lbs of live sand. it was carib sea. now i just have to wait for a cycle. Any tips would be great, And appreciated. thanks

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Welcome to MR, Rob!

greatest tips (you'll find them all over this site) would be read a ton and don't rush your cycle.

If you have particular animals in mind, research what their needs are and make sure you can supply what they need before you buy them.

Ask tons of questions here, but do searches on the site, too.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Hey Rob! welcome to Manhattan Reefs. Definitely a great site filled with great locals that are willing to take the time to help the members.

Best advice would be : DON'T RUSH!. It can be boring staring at a tank cycling but it is definitely a great time to research and figure out what you want to stock the tank with!

Plumbing and adding a sump was a great idea. Definitely will leave you more room for a nice large fuge and a larger skimmer!

Do you have a controller? i would definitely recommend getting a controller.

Post some pictures!

Jaftica

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hey Jonny, I like having the sump for the refugium and having the ability to add things that otherwise could not be used due to space limitations. i don't have a controller yet. what do you reccomend for a controller. I will post pictures as soon as i can.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hello. Sounds like you are off to a great start. This site is a great source to utilize and the people on it are amazing. Last night a member, whom I had just met, gave me a sump for free to help me out. The majority of the MR members look out for each other and genuinly enjoy what they do.

I am also in Long Island; and have only been in the hobby for 5 months.

Good luck with tank, and welcome!

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
Controller wise i have a Reef Keeper lite,

i bought it brand new from a member on here for 75$ ...brand new they are 99$ [i believe] i dont know much about the others but the reef keeper lite is GREAT.

it has a temp prob and you can add other options like a ph probe if you choose to do so. [im still new to it so i do not know all of the options avail and havent really researched it]

i have my lights, heater and fans set up to it. It gives you a great piece of mind that you wont fry your fish...you can set anything you like but i did something like this..

if the temp goes above 78 it cuts off the heater. and if it goes above 80 my fans will turn on and cool the tank...it will shut off when it gets back to 78

since i set this up my temperature has been extremely stable. !

have you setup an ATO?

Last edited:

bmarkus

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Rob, you got good advice so fair. I will say the same take your time DON'T RUSH read a lot get to know a store that you feel comfortable with. HAVE FUN! I am in hobby for over 20 years and still having a blast.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Welcome Rob. Tropical Island on Route 231 in Deer Park sells chetto along with everything else you will need. Other good stores in the area are GC Fish & Reef in Centereach and you have already been to AquaHut. All three are the top stores on the Island IMO.

Jeff

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: