• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Hi Jarrett

I really don't know much about the above regulator but when I was doing live plants (FW) I would go through a regulator a year. Granted you ran co2 for plants at a very high bubble count but I finally found one that was made for heavy duty use. I have attached the link. It is a plant guy and he can be a PITA but he makes a hell of a regulator
http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html

Good luck
Andy

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I would opt for green leaf regulator, but the best option would be to get an used matheson or victor regulator on ebay. I'm into the high tech planted stuff and a lot of people recommended me to get victor or matheson. I have matheson two stage regulator with swagelok metering valve and clippard solenoid and couldn't be happier. It's very easy to adjust the bubble rate and it stays rock solid. Avoid jbj regulators, they're crappy.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Not sure this is relevant, but I have used an MA957 regulator for 2 years now flawlessly - the key to any regulator life is knowing how to use it (so you don't blow out the 2nd gauge) and using the proper bubble fluid - since most people use water in their bubble counters, they lime scale and close making the 3/16th hole incorrectly let out C02. Using a gel-based fluid stops the calcification and, for me, has extended it's life.

I had the same regulator years before and had to drill out the hole every time I changed the media (2x a year). once I started using the correct fluid, I haven't touched it since.

FWIW

House

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Not sure this is relevant, but I have used an MA957 regulator for 2 years now flawlessly - the key to any regulator life is knowing how to use it (so you don't blow out the 2nd gauge) and using the proper bubble fluid - since most people use water in their bubble counters, they lime scale and close making the 3/16th hole incorrectly let out C02. Using a gel-based fluid stops the calcification and, for me, has extended it's life.

I had the same regulator years before and had to drill out the hole every time I changed the media (2x a year). once I started using the correct fluid, I haven't touched it since.

FWIW

House

+1 on the bubble counter fluid. Mineral oil works great and it's inexpensive.

mfarris2

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I canot speak about this particular regulator. But a couple of years ago, I did purchase what was then AP's top of the line regulator. I do not remember the model number. I can tell you it had the regulator, solenoid and bubble counter built in. I had no problems with it and it did it's job very well. When I sold it on Ebay a few months back, I got almost what I paid for it,....and it was listed as used. (I am guessing it was considered a decent regulator,....even after a couple of years of use.) I do not know about the other brands listed above,.....but AP did me OK.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: