AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I converted from freshwater to saltwater. I emptied out the whole tank, then cleaned and filled it back up with water and added salt. I am using all my freshwater filters that I cleaned out and replaced the media. I have a fluval 404, a penguin bio-wheel, [2] Koralia 2 powerheads, 70 lbs live sand and 60 lbs of live rock. The tank has been running for 2 weeks now. My question is, Is it possible to run this tank with this equipment as a FISH ONLY tank? If not, what do any of you suggest I add. I really don't want to add anything to expensive because I plan on doing a much bigger tank in the future and would rather wait till then to buy the correct stuff. Any info is greatly appreciated. I plan on having about [4] 3"-5" fish which I will add slowly to the tank one at a time. Thank you

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
yes. you should clean the fuval once every 4-6 weeks. With the live rock you don't need the bio-wheel on the penguin. I would also look into a Hang-on skimmer. such as a cpr or remora.

AriMiko43

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
What did you clean the tank with? What water did you fill it with; where did it come from? Did you ever use copper in the previous tank?

I just rinsed the tank down with tap water and scrub it with a pad, Then I filled it with tap water from the sink which is NY water. I added stress coat to remove chlorine then added the salt to get it to 1.021. No I never used copper in the previous tank.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
"fish only tank" doesn't matter if he had copper
it will work but the tap water should be ro water I would also run a skimmer I had that tank with about 5 - 3inch triggers and a 5 inch puffer they were all fish a buddy didnt want and they did great in that tank with a fluval 304 and a remora skimmer

topmav1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Personally it reminds me of when I setup my first saltwater based on the advice of Petland Discounts...BAD NEWS. I really think you're going down the wrong road here and you're going to end up with a lot of issues down the line that you won't be able to correct. I've done it twice and trust me if you're not ready to do it right don't do it. Save yourself the headaches man. You can buy things from people on this forum for relatively cheap when compared to retail new so I think you should take your time get the right things. Fish only or not fish only don't force it cause you'll end up ripping the whole thing down...

Good luck!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
+1 on the skimmer.
Take your time planning out the tank. Consider this a practice tank. Down the road it will be your Q tank.
Don't impulse buy livestock. And look for things on this website. There really are good deals sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: