Rating - 100%
161   0   0
i have ich i got my blue throat trigger out and i have him in a hospital tank i doesed the tank with copper power there are no didretions as far as how long i should use it for also i woke up this morning and now he has a lot more iche on him is this noemal now that hes in a copper threatment maybe there coming out im guessing ,also how long do i threat him in the copper solution the bottle just tells u how much to use but doesnt say for how long any ideas please help i dont wanna loss him

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Treat at .25 for two weeks after the last spot falls off. It's best to treat for 4 - 6 weeks.
Make sure you have a copper kit to measure the level.

The ich is working it way out of the fish, so what you're seeing is a good thing. In time the fish will look better.

shaunsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have ich i got my blue throat trigger out and i have him in a hospital tank i doesed the tank with copper power there are no didretions as far as how long i should use it for also i woke up this morning and now he has a lot more iche on him is this noemal now that hes in a copper threatment maybe there coming out im guessing ,also how long do i threat him in the copper solution the bottle just tells u how much to use but doesnt say for how long any ideas please help i dont wanna loss him

Copper power is the best treatment u can use by far..This is a FISH ONLY TANK i hope...If it is run copper power (very small dose at all times) and u wont have problems) ..........It takes app. 1-2 weeks to treat the fish...But like i said run a small dose at all times..''''PS copper power dosnt fade like other brands

THANKS STEVE

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Copper power is the best treatment u can use by far..This is a FISH ONLY TANK i hope...If it is run copper power (very small dose at all times) and u wont have problems) ..........It takes app. 1-2 weeks to treat the fish...But like i said run a small dose at all times..''''PS copper power dosnt fade like other brands

THANKS STEVE

He said it was a hospital tank. You also need to run it at the correct level for it to work, small doses wouldn't get rid of the ich. Build it to to the correct level over a couple of days and you should be fine. It also takes longer than 1-2 weeks, as the ich can take that long to work its way out of the fish. You need to go another 2 weeks after you see the last ich spot, general a 4 - 6 week period.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I have him in a 18 gallon with some live rock and a heater and little sponge air filter I took him outta my main tank now what should I do with the other guys in the tank I have 5 cleaner shrimp and a cleaner wrasse that's going a cleaning on my fish but I would like to get them out and threat them as well how the hell can I get them out and do I need to oh and I'm feeding them garlic extreme as well will this actually help

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Marrone whatta u mean .25. I'm. A little confused the directions say use 1 ounce per 20gallons I have a 18 gallon tank with 15 gallons of water in it I looked online and 1 once is equel to 30 ml so I dosed the 15 gallons of water with 20 ml I think this is a slight less than they recommened so I should be good right

shaunsreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said it was a hospital tank. You also need to run it at the correct level for it to work, small doses wouldn't get rid of the ich. Build it to to the correct level over a couple of days and you should be fine.
Marrone we run it on a treatment system......When fish do have it when they come in , they lose it very fast,,and dont forget to run low salt app.10/14 ..parasites have trouble in that low salt.
Thats our way and found it very effective but everybodyd has there own ways..
Good luck and hope your fish all do well:)

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
opps sorry didnt see the hospital part......But run what the bottle says for the gallons..The stuff is great..I run it at all times in my fish only system...
Thanks Steve

Marrone we run it on a treatment system......When fish do have it when they come in , they lose it very fast,,and dont forget to run low salt app.10/14 ..parasites have trouble in that low salt.
Thats our way and found it very effective but everybodyd has there own ways..
Good luck and hope your fish all do well:)

Running it at that SG level isn't going to have any effect on the ich, it's just a waste of time.

Unless you run the copper at the correct level it's not going to have an impact on ich, it may on other parasites but not ich. When you see ich on the fish it's the final stage, before it falls off, eventually becomes free swimming and infects the fish over again. So what may look like the fish is losing the ich fast is just the process starting over again. It's very common for people to say their fish looks better from one day to the next, only to have the ich start to show again or the fish die.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Marrone whatta u mean .25. I'm. A little confused the directions say use 1 ounce per 20gallons I have a 18 gallon tank with 15 gallons of water in it I looked online and 1 once is equel to 30 ml so I dosed the 15 gallons of water with 20 ml I think this is a slight less than they recommened so I should be good right

When you get a test kit you'll see the levels on it. .25ppm is the level you want to treat at. I would start with half the recommended dosage and then do a reading. Increase the dosage until you get a reading of .25. You also need to take into account the Live Rock and sponge filter you have in the tank, as both will absorb some of the copper.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I I know marrone I'm def gonna keep treating for the full 2 weeks its just a phase right now um so quick quetion when u say sg level at .025 that means salt right leave it were it is

1st - you cannot mix hyposalinity treatment and treating with copper (as Marrone said) - continue only with the copper
2nd- 2 weeks is not long enough. Must be a minimum of 3 weeks solid at the correct level - 4 weeks is even better

You mentioned there are other fish in your DT?
They ALL must also be treated!

If 1 fish in the tank has ich - then they all do - the fact is that it is in your DT. It will not die out on it's own unless the tank has NO fish in it for the ich to host.
Just because you cannot see it on the fish doesn't matter, it is in their gills where you cannot see it (this is where it basically 'enters' the fish).

AFTER you get all of the fish out of the tank - the tank must remain fallow for 6 -8 weeks so that the ich dies off totally, or you will be going through this again. ;(

Inverts do not get ich, so they can stay in the DT.

Do daily testing of the water in the QT tank for ammonia & nitrite.
Daily siphoning of the floor of the tank will help lessen the number of 'free-swimming' parasites (free-swimming is a deceptive term as they mostly fall to the floor of the tank before they reattach to the fish..and the cycle starts all over again)

Also want to make sure that you understand the rock you have in the QT tank cannot go back into a reef tank at any point as it is absorbing copper. Better to remove that from the QT tank and use either small sections of PVC, plastic 'rock' or plastic plants to make the fish feel more comfortable.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i would also get the LR out of the tank.use some pvc for hiding spots for the fish.hopefully u do not have sand in your qt.if your qt tank is on a stand with no bottom put something solid under it so the fish feel covered.i read a empty bottom can stress fish out.and do what marrone said.you need to test for copper ,to much can kill a fish to little does nothing.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I got u kathy so I need to remove all fish and starve out the display tank basically right I have a 40 gallon that I'm gonna set up I guess and if the fish don't look better by sat I'm gonna ripe apart the tank again and catch all the fish and threat them all I never had any ich problems and I'm going nuts right now tryin to dicede what to do kathy people are saying that ichs alway in a tank so if I get all the fish out and don't treat the display tank then even though I starve it out won't it come back I'm confused

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
charlie.when i set up my 50 i had 3 fish.i never qt any new fish i introduce.i had 2 cardinals i introduced and within 2 days i noticed ich.i went out bought a cleaner and garlic extreme and with 2 weeks i no signs of ich.that was 1 year 4 months ago.i now always dose garlic x in every meal.people say this method does not work but it worked for me.when i had my qt for my old 120 i would qt every fish i bought.look for any signs of disease and in 3 to 4 weeks would introduce it to my tank.i did everything that i read to make sure i got no diseases in the 120.i bought a hippo tang.qt him 4 weeks.i used the 120 tank water to do water changes on qt so everything in qt was same as dt.i introduced him ,2 days later was covered in ich and all my fish died except for 1 damsel.i had no cleaner shrimp and i didnt dose that tank with gx.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: