Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
How do you know when you have been at this for too long?
When after you thought you threw everything out that you don't need, you have more than you started with.
Here are a few of the thiongs I just can't part with. I did not include 10 gallons of rock, miles of tubing and three or four tanks.
IMG_0322.jpg

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Try 4 rubbermaid 40 gallon bins, several 5g buckets all filled with aquarium related stuff, plus God only knows what's up in the attick.LOL I even have a wet/dry sitting out on my deck.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
AWilda, I didn't count the tubs and buckets, there are more than I can count or know where they all are. I also have a bunch of skimmers, pumps, driers, traps etc in various stages of production.
I only have one reef and a tiny experimental tank. I have stuff from fifty years ago. :lol2:
I am on a dumping spree and my two 40 gallon garbage cans are full.
Now I am working on large garbage bags. I get ambitious every few years and dump stuff. It's not all fish related, I got rid of computers, lap tops and a lot of electronics like all the stuff from sattelite TV and about a dozen cell phones.
I have enough tools to build a Space Shuttle. :eek2:
But you need to clean house occasionally to make more room for boat stuff which tends to be large. :beachbum:
Have a great day and lets try to fill up those garbage dumps
Paul
IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited:

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You know you've been doing this too long when all of your aquarium junk takes up more room than anything else in the house. Or when you find your dog chewing on an old skimmer. Or when your spouse asks "what do you need another one of those for? You've got 20 of them." Or when you have upgraded so many times that all of your tanks combined would fill Sea World. Or when you have brought home so much weird looking crap that your neighbors think you work for NASA. But it is SOOOOO worth it just to have someone come over and take one look at your tank and say "Damn! That looks good!" (The second question normally is "How much did that cost?")

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Paul you can never do this to long lol. I have five 40 gallon bins of base rock alone and 3 bins of old coral not to mention those old ehiems and diatom filters you pictured. I saw well over a dozen of the ehiems in my attic yesterday but didn't even give it a second though lol. I know I have close to 20 Jager heaters up there also. Not to mention the 30 boxes of forgotten things.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jaa, you have much more than I do. My boat stuff and SCUBA stuff is all large items and takes up most of my garage and storage. Aqurium stuff, thankfully is much smaller but you still need to store it somewhere. I throw out so much of this stuff my garbage men must think I am running a hardware store in my basement. My garbage cans always weigh a ton and are filled with equipment. There are always powercords, cables or hoses hanging out the side of the can.
I have quite a few hobbies and they all generate a lot of waste.
Woodworking is another big waste item with building decks, outdoor furnature and kitchen cabinets.
I have always done all the repairs and maintenance on my vehicles and that requires welders, jacks and a large assortment of tools.
I guess what I am saying is that I should live in an airoplane Hangar. :D

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
What kind of boat do you have? I have a 25' Wellcraft Coastal. Looking to upgrade this year or next to 28' or up. Actually the storage of things are an issue haha, You should see all the crap I have at my mothers house. I actually built her a 400 gallon indoor pond and had plenty of stuff laying around to run it. I need to make more room in my house. I found my old vho set up and the bulbs are broken.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am also limited with where I could put stuff. My house is large enough but that is "living space" and not necesarilly "fish" space. I built my workshop big enough to accomidate my hobbies and all of my "almost" built stuff is in there or in my garage workshop. My wife is a cleaning fanatic and a piece of dust would not dare land on my furnature.
Once a year she even moves all the furnature in the house to dust and oil behind it. All th drawers are emptied so the bottoms could be cleaned and conditioned, even the drawer glides as well as the closets, all of them. It all looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday.
So my workshop is deligated to me to do whatever I want and make whatever mess I want.
I finished the basement and it too looks brand new and it is almost 30 years old.
My reef is built into the wall in the basement.

What kind of boat do you have?

I have a 27' Sea Ray with twin I/Os
I upgraded last year from a 23' Slick Craft.

BoatwithLorraineSue002.jpg

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am also limited with where I could put stuff. My house is large enough but that is "living space" and not necesarilly "fish" space. I built my workshop big enough to accomidate my hobbies and all of my "almost" built stuff is in there or in my garage workshop. My wife is a cleaning fanatic and a piece of dust would not dare land on my furnature.
Once a year she even moves all the furnature in the house to dust and oil behind it. All th drawers are emptied so the bottoms could be cleaned and conditioned, even the drawer glides as well as the closets, all of them. It all looks like it came out of the showroom yesterday.
So my workshop is deligated to me to do whatever I want and make whatever mess I want.
I finished the basement and it too looks brand new and it is almost 30 years old.
My reef is built into the wall in the basement.

I have a 27' Sea Ray with twin I/Os
I upgraded last year from a 23' Slick Craft.

BoatwithLorraineSue002.jpg
Awwwww....How nice! You bought me a boat!

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Nice paul when you need to throw out the boat call me lol. And that cleaning behind the furniture, you got off easy. The girlfriend likes to do that every other month, mainly because of the dogs though.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: