beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
There seem to be a lot of questions regarding automation lately, so I thought I'd throw this out there.

There are many ways to keep a reef, and while some like the hands on approach, many people like to automate as much as possible to make maintenance easier. Here are a few ways to maintain common tasks.

Lights
This is an easy one. A $12 timer from the hardware store will work just fine. If you want to get more advanced, there are digital timers, controllers, and advanced controllers that will simulate lunar cycles, seasons, etc. The important thing is that the lights turn on and off at predictable times.

Top Off
We all know that our tanks evaporate water, and with a larger tank, there is more evaporation. Since stability is important in a reef tank, this is probably one of the best things to automate in your tank. There are many auto top off (ATO) systems available, and they are fairly easy to DIY. They can be stand alone systems, or attached to controllers. I won't get into the specifics here (Google is your friend), but here are a few things that may help when you make your decision.

1. Every ATO is prone to failure. There are things that can be done to minimize failure, including regularly cleaning your float switches. If the switch is in your display, ensure that it has a snail guard on it. Keep it out of high flow areas, and make sure it is secured firmly in place. Use redundant switches where possible.

2. If your ATO fails, you'll want to minimize the damage. Choose a low flow rate pump such as an Aqualifter. This will give you time to catch failures before they become a disaster.

Keep your top off reservoir reasonably sized. If a switch gets stuck, do you want 2 gallons of water on your floor, or 20?

Keep your reservoir full. A pump like an Aqualifter won't burn out if it goes dry, but most pumps will.

NEVER top off directly from a water source. While it is possible to hook up a float switch to your water supply, or through an RO, it is a BAD idea. If a switch sticks, there is an unlimited supply of water to flood your house. Don't do it.

Temperature
To keep temperature stable, there are many options. Keeping your home at a consistent temperature isn't usually enough. Lights and pumps can drastically change your water temperature. An accurate thermometer is imperative. (This means no color changing stick on glass ones)

Anyone who has had a heater go bad will tell you not to trust the built in thermostat on a heater. If you live in an area where heating is your only concern, do yourself a favor and get a single stage controller for a more reliable thermostat.

If you have to worry about hot and cold variation, you'll need a dual stage controller. There are dedicated controllers for this, or you can buy an aquarium controller that has this functionality. Make sure they're correctly programmed, plug in your heater, chiller, fans, and relax. You have an automated temperature controller.

Moving Forward
There are other tasks that can be automated in your tank as well, that I don't have time to write up right now, but I'll continue with more automation tips when I have a bit more time. Hope this helps!

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Nice writeup.
With automation, you can't over stress redundency. Double float switches for ATO. Using the heater's internal thermostat as a backup for a temp controller. Etc...

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
My thoughts on automation..

Get an "inexpensive" expendable controller like RKL to start with, you can control your lighting and temperature with a basic $99 unit that can handle 4 outlets. This is almost cheaper than buying a good external temperature controller and two digital light timers. You can expend from there with a $70 SL1 module that adds PH port, ORP port, two switch ports (for ATO) and an additional temp port. You will end up a little more cost wise with a comparable ACjr that will support a reef tank well, but you can manage the cost and expansion on your own pace.

IME, best redundancy for heater control is to use two independent heaters to provide the total amount of wattage needed for the system, if one fails, the other will prevent the temp to drop quickly and not as low. If one is stuck on(not on a controller), the temp will not be as hot too.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I agree completely, and love my RKL.

I want to break down each element of automation on it's own here, without mention of specifics when possible. The goal is to provide people with ideas on how they can automate their tank, without having them feel as if they have to buy a controller.

I think as a beginner, the idea of a controller can be daunting, but broken down, people can see if they want to buy one or if they feel content automating individual items.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: