Woke up this morning and did the usual check on the tank and found that the tank was "sliming". there are tiny black spots everywhere, on the corals, live rock, sand - you name it.

72 gallon tank

last 24 hrs:

*** last week i added a couple new frags
- prev day all parameters good (i will post todays numbers shortly)
- tested KH was at 10, did my nightly 50 ml dose of recipe #2 KH (drips in over about 30-60 min for a 1/2 KH raise)
- added usual 1 gallon of top-off water with aragomight mixed in (mix and pour the whole thing in - it never dissolves)
*** I noticed the frogspawn frag I bought last week had some black sports on it, I shook it off and relocated it to less flow. When i shook it the black spots came off along with a bunch of other stuff that looks like the slime I now have everywhere.
*** observed foaming in sump
- I used shoulder height gloves since my hands are pretty chapped
- everything in the tank looks happy, the Digi's have great polyp extension. green frogspawn looks great.

any thoughts on what is happening. I'm new and learning, so if i made a mistake, please let me know!

Black spots are coming back:
img2667spots.jpg

sump has "foam" in it that appears to be coming from the tank. Skimmer little more full than before, but it is a new (used) skimmer put in Wednesday:
img2657small.jpg

sliming by frogspawn that had black spots last night:
img2658small.jpg

img2667small.jpg

more sliming:
img2664small.jpg

img2663small.jpg

img2661small.jpg

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
That is a lot of slim all over the tank from what i'm seeing.. Haven't seen that b4 unless the corals have been disturbed.. You mention that you put in a new skimmer? Did you use vinegar to run it for a few hrs or wash it?

Foam usually come from additive that you put in.. did you use epoxy, glue, or any additive that you put in lately? I would stop dosing the tank until the foam and slim clear out.. I would do some water change and run carbon.

That is a lot of slim all over the tank from what i'm seeing.. Haven't seen that b4 unless the corals have been disturbed.. You mention that you put in a new skimmer? Did you use vinegar to run it for a few hrs or wash it?

Foam usually come from additive that you put in.. did you use epoxy, glue, or any additive that you put in lately? I would stop dosing the tank until the foam and slim clear out.. I would do some water change and run carbon.

I rinsed the skimmer, maybe I should have run it with vinegar like you suggested. Nothing added to the tank at all besides KH, no epoxies or glues.

The slime is everywhere, almost like the coraline algae is sliming. weird!

artie1209

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you install a new filter sock or add a lot of buffer? When you installed the new skimmer did you have some Hand lotion on? Was the skimmer repaired with an epoxy recently? Did you add new water when adding the skimmer. Try to retrace your steps from when you discovered the foaming and everything you did with the tank leading up to that point. Posting that chain of events may help fellow reefers find out what is happening. The more details the better. Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: