Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks guys!

Euroreefer, does your media look dirty when you change it?

I ask because I use to run them seperately, and did change it out around the same time as Jimmy, and it would look dirty.

I decided to combine the 2 a few weeks ago. I took the reactor out to clean it, but the media still looks perfectly clean as the 1st. day.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Sounds good Rick.;)

Alex, your schedule sounds even better.lol

I run them separate in two BRS reactors its just easier that way. I change one then about three days later i change the other. keeps them running smoothly. and I don't have to worry about them being exhausted.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Jimmy, what I mean is that I don't see any sediment on or under the media in the reactor as I have seen when I used the 2 seperate reactors. Possibly because it has only been running 2 or 3 weeks.;)
I have the extra reactors!;)

I'm running them together because I purchased the GFO & AC from BRS, and the carbon is a big PITA while running a reactor. It is so small that no matter how much water I let run through the reactor some of it always manages to escape. I thought that by sandwiching it between 2 layers of gfo I would avoid this problem. Didn't work as well as I had hoped for.:sigh: Once I'm rid of this ac I am going back to chemipure, or might try Marineland Diamond.;)

Euroreefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
When I change every 2 weeks it comes out pretty clean/ no sediments dirt trapped..but if I go 3-4 weeks, not so clean and alot of build up in the reactor.

I have a 40 breeder

Last edited:

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
depending on the size of the tank I have the 40 so I run my carbon for 2 weeks and my gfo for 3 weeks so hence carbon will get changed one week before the gfo. In others they change it out every 2 weeks the larger the tank the more you have to change it out from what I knwo

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Yeah I hear ya Awi i would just think it would pick up some coloration from the carbon. To tell you the truth I never even look at the phosban when I cange it out- I know its time for it to go due to being in for 6 weeks. Wasnt second guessing you in any way at all was just surprised no black discoloration from being slammed around with carbon. Ive actually been meaning to pick up the dual reactor that Russ and Jim sell looks like a real nice reactor and seems easier to deal with than my 2 TLF's.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Jimmy, I didn't even think you meant anything by your question.:)
But yeah you would think so but the carbon has no effect on the gfo, and vice a versa.;) What does happen is that they mix a little, but not much.
I'm going to go check it this duo reactor you guys are talking about.;)

Anthony & James, I am talking about when both medias are run together in 1 reactor..

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I just looked at the BRS reactor I like that- looks like a mini RO unit. If I had a place to mount it up to Id get that but my reactors are off the back of my stand where I really dont have wood available to mount anything because I have 10 pounds of S#$@ stuffed into a 5 pound stand lol. The one Russ sells can sit on the platform of wood Ill have off the back of stand, otherwise looks like a real nice reactor.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
'They' say that GFO should be changed when your phosphate numbers are seen to be increasing during a Phosphate test as a rule of thumb.

It should be changed weekly if you are trying to reduce high phosphate levels, and then changed as mentioned above to maintain low levels (NOT saying this is your case Awilda :))

Carbon, I do that every 2 weeks

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
my dear,

I have a bulk reef duble reactor. So I am talking about when they are in the same reactor hence dubble.

Jimmy, I didn't even think you meant anything by your question.:)
But yeah you would think so but the carbon has no effect on the gfo, and vice a versa.;) What does happen is that they mix a little, but not much.
I'm going to go check it this duo reactor you guys are talking about.;)

Anthony & James, I am talking about when both medias are run together in 1 reactor..

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Kat, I have no idea where my P04 is since I don't have a tester for it Yet!LOL I think you missed also, I'm running both medias in the 1 reactor.;)
Anthony, I don't have a duo reactor.;) I stated both medias are being run through the 1 TwoLittleFishies reactor.;)

Jimmy I just went, and looked at both duo reactors we're talking about. One is to expensive for me at the moment, and the other I don't think I have any where to hang it from.:(

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: