Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Tomorrow im taking my 12o gal apart to catch the fish so i can treat them for the ich they have i will be setting up a 40 gallon for the fish and im wondering what the best treatment should i use the copper power i have or should i do hyposalt ?i dont have a refractmeter so i dont know how hypo would work with a regular cheap meter ,also i am not going to put the fish back into the main display for im guessing around 6 weeks right would this be enough time to make sure the ich starved out with no hosts ?and one mor question can i leave the fish in the 40 gallon with the copper for the full 6 weeks or do i need to rmove them from the copper

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you can take the fish out, and treat them in a separate tank, it's better to treat with copper, especially if you don't have a refactormeter to measure the SG. 6 to 8 weeks should kill the ich. As for leaving the fish in the tank with copper for the full 6 weeks, that shouldn't be a problem. You just need to make sure you don't over feed and do water changes. Also when you do water changes make sure you bring the copper back to correct level.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Use the Copper Power. I'm assuming your fish are well infested at this point since we've been discussing this for a week or two.

Minimum treatment time with the copper is 21 days, I'd prefer to see you go 28 at this point.

Yes, 6 FULL weeks to leave your display tank fallow. If you do it tomorrow - your return date will be April 25th :)

Be SURE to add an air pump and airstone to the QT tank - they need as much oxygen as possible during treatment!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you!

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Thanks kathy and marrone i def doing it tomorrow everything is almost set up i was gonna do it today but i got called to work so def tomorrow i will leave the tank empty and use the copper power the whole time thanks i shouldda listened in the bigining lol anyone wanna buy a few bottles of kick ich lol

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Thanks kathy and marrone i def doing it tomorrow everything is almost set up i was gonna do it today but i got called to work so def tomorrow i will leave the tank empty and use the copper power the whole time thanks i shouldda listened in the bigining lol anyone wanna buy a few bottles of kick ich lol

Yeah, well, live & learn ;)

...and :smash:, tho I'm sure you have done it to yourself enough already.

I sent you my # - call me if you need to!

JavyJaverson

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
144   0   0
if you're setting up the qt just now, i would worry about ammonia creeping up at some point. If you feel like the ich is not as bad, i would wait a week or two until the qt has established a bit. It's not rare for people to end up killing their ich infested fish in qt because of ammonia.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I'm gonna use my main display tank to fill it and this willprovide me with a nice water change on my ds tank then when I need to do a water change on th qt ill make fresh new salt water and change maybe 10 gallons a week or maybe 5 I have a hippo blue throat * pair of sebae clowns and a royal gamma

pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Careful, without an established biological filter in the QT tank, you will need to perform a partial water change every other day and keeping the copper at medicinal levels will be a chore.
As Lucid stated, your ammonia will consistently creep up. Starting the QT tank with water from the main tank will do nothing for the bacterial bed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: