johnny roastbeef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
We lost power Saturday around noon. By early Saturday evening I had my Vortech running on battery power so at least the 300 gallon tank had aeration. Sunday morning I was able to get 1 heater and 2 vortechs running off inverter power from my car. Yesterday afternoon, the tanks had dropped down to 61 degrees before I got a generator running to power some heaters and pumps.

This morning the tanks creeped back up to 70 before the power came back on. I sure hope they all survive. I know Ive been pretty cold for the last few days.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
WOW, I feel bad for all you guys that lost power! I pray my power stays on. Online we've lost power has been during the summer, and that was bad enough.
Reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy need to look into a generator.

johnny roastbeef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The power came back on this morning. I think all I lost is one lookdown.

Others might want to consider getting a small backup generator to keep their tanks going in the event of a power outage. The only place that had gennys in stock was harbor freight tools and I was able to pick up a 3500 watt unit for just a few hundred dollars. While I was there I looked at a small 800 watt portable about the size of a 12-pack. The normal price is $150, but I have seen them on sale in for half that. For 80 dollars it would run the powerheads and the heaters on almost any system. Considering what this hobby costs, it is low cost insurance.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: