ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
what do you suggest to protect the babies my clown fish lay. my clowns have laid alot of eggs but rarely hatch. they lately have been but get distroyed by all the other fish. i tried catching them and put them into another tank and left them in there for a long time but they did not lay eggs. once i put them back into the tank they did 2 weeks later. i just noticed eggs in my tank this morning again. should i just give up or is there anyway of protecting them? i am not catching all my fish and relocating them. when they lay eggs if i took the rock and parents and moved them would the eggs most likely not make it and fade away have a chance. or if they had babies could i catch some babies and relocate them in a breeder net or do they need the parents? might be hard seeing they lay them behind all the rock work. any opinions?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The eggs are extremely sensitive. If they are exposed to air at all, may as well throw them out. The parents are responsible for 'fanning' the eggs and keeping the proper flow around them (can also be done with a power head if you set it correctly)
The parents also will pick off any defective or fungused eggs.
Raising baby clowns in a community tank is near impossible - they will be snacks (the eggs) for the other fish. :(

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
the longest i kept them before before they were all eaten was 4 weeks. they started off eating rotifers fine. i was thinking what if i took out some cheeto and put them in my fuge?

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
The eggs take exactly 7 days to hatch from the day they were laid on that day they will hatch when the lights go off it happened a few times to me I am prepared for next time I have a 5 gallon set up ready to go the day before there gonna hatch ill take the rock out I'm suprised ur clowns aint protecting the eggs mine are real mean when they have eggs nothing even attempts to go near them I wouldn't take the eggs out at least till u see eyes growing in the eggs the clowns do alotta work to keep them fanned and cleaned its awsome to watch I love it

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
what do you suggest to protect the babies my clown fish lay. my clowns have laid alot of eggs but rarely hatch. they lately have been but get distroyed by all the other fish. i tried catching them and put them into another tank and left them in there for a long time but they did not lay eggs. once i put them back into the tank they did 2 weeks later. i just noticed eggs in my tank this morning again. should i just give up or is there anyway of protecting them? i am not catching all my fish and relocating them. when they lay eggs if i took the rock and parents and moved them would the eggs most likely not make it and fade away have a chance. or if they had babies could i catch some babies and relocate them in a breeder net or do they need the parents? might be hard seeing they lay them behind all the rock work. any opinions?

Do some research on "breeding clownfish" on google. Essentially, the only way to get fry to survive is to remove them to another tank entirely and then feed them a set of specially cultured live foods until they're of sufficient size to eat prepared foods. And you have to feed them every few hours at the beginning. Frankly, it's too bloody much bother for most people: you need another tank, several greenwater cultures, several rotifer cultures, and then you need to start hatching baby brine shrimp...it's a lot of work. And you'll probably screw it up several times and have 100% fatality rates before you get it right anyway.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
You leave the eggs in there. Usually it takes 8 days to hatch however; they can hatch on the 7th. They will hatch after the lights go out, about 30 minutes after. You can change your lighting schedule, so the lights go off and you can watch them hatch. However, you are best waiting for the lights to go off. Once they do, take the eggs out, on whatever they are attached to and place them in a 2 gallon tank with the exact water paramets. The tank should have a heater. You should have an air filter in their producing only one bubble per second. Place it next to the eggs so they get oxygen. Once all the eggs hatch then take it out. The tank should be painted black and have a light, that is not very powerful above it. The fry will need to be fed rotifers. Rotifers feed on phytoplankton.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: