SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I couldn't sleep so I decided to have a gander at my tank and to my surprise, I find 3-4 tiny ball corallimorphs no more than the size of a dime situated in rock crevices and tiny little cracks. How do I get rid of them?

edit: 5, one of them the size of a quarter :D ... :(

Last edited:

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, for one reason I'm scared of them. They're hitch-hikers who decided to show up and spawn in my tank.
Second (and probably my most feared one) is that they're supposed to be poisonous. I have no problem with that but say if there's a zoa or any other type of coral (that I guess I paid for), I'd prefer the paid item to live...unless my info is wrong then might have to change my mind.
have you had these little guys in yours?

SaltyFlip

Percula Agent
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
will try my best to grab up a pic at lights-out but will be hard since they're so well hidden...might have to upturn a rock or two. I'll let you know if I'm successful.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well, for one reason I'm scared of them. They're hitch-hikers who decided to show up and spawn in my tank.

Actually, they're hitchikers whose home you moved into your tank, but...;)

Second (and probably my most feared one) is that they're supposed to be poisonous. I have no problem with that but say if there's a zoa or any other type of coral (that I guess I paid for), I'd prefer the paid item to live...unless my info is wrong then might have to change my mind.
have you had these little guys in yours?

...I haven't heard anything about them being poisonous, except perhaps in the same way that every cnidarian with nematocysts is technically venomous. They're certainly nowhere near the level of palythoas, protopalythoas, and zoanthids, which are, in some cases, hideously poisonous.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
this is something i read,

: these corallimorphs should not be kept with fish smaller than 2" (5cm). White ball corallimorphs can easily take unsuspecting small fish such as clown gobies, since the tips of their tentacles are extremely sticky and have a reasonable sting. One should also avoid touching a white ball corallimorph by hand or with any other object that isn't food, as the corallimorph can be injured if the tentacles have adhered to the object and the object is pulled away too quickly.

SevTT

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
this is something i read,

: these corallimorphs should not be kept with fish smaller than 2" (5cm). White ball corallimorphs can easily take unsuspecting small fish such as clown gobies, since the tips of their tentacles are extremely sticky and have a reasonable sting. One should also avoid touching a white ball corallimorph by hand or with any other object that isn't food, as the corallimorph can be injured if the tentacles have adhered to the object and the object is pulled away too quickly.

It has to depend on the type, 'cause I've got a few in my tank and the only thing they've ever endangered was the odd stray copepod. The largest is maybe the size of a dime.

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have seen corallimorphs being song on some coral sites. Some are beautiful colors. Is what you have the same thing?

If you dont want them dont kill them off like manjano or aptaisia, You might want to sell/trade them or put them on the Freebie thread. I am sure someone out there would love your little hitchiker.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: