Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There was this local guy that was looking for a skimmer for his 75g tank. He said he bought a skimmer, but it was too big. That he would trade for a smaller skimmer. I offered to trade my skimmer (Berlin triplepass) for his and explained to him that it took two weeks to break it in rather than the 48 hours it says in the instructions. I asked him what kind he had. He said that he had a Reef Octopus NWB 200. So I looked it up online. It was better for my tank than what I had, so I called the guy later and told him I was ok with it and asked if he wanted any money too for it. He said he just wanted a skimmer to fit his tank. So I was up at 6am this morning yanking my skimmer out and cleaning it and boxing it up for the guy. I figured I could just pop in the new skimmer after I rinse it out good. The guy couldn't bring it himself so he had his secretary bring it over this morning at 8. We traded boxes and the box his sec. gave me was huge. I figured most of it was packing material. So I set the box in front of the tank and went to forage for some food. I ate and set about unpacking the box. The skimmer was HUGE. Much bigger than what I had expected. The instructions says the skimmer is a Reef Octopus OCTX-300. I tried calling the dude to see if he gave me the right skimmer. I got his voice mail. I'll call him later on tonight. But if it is the right one, I'll have to yank my whole sump out to get that beast in there. It won't fit between the sump and the stand. I don't even know if it will fit in the sump. If anybody out there has a tape measure (I can't find mine) can you measure the width a 55g if you have one? I tried to find the footprint of this skimmer online but I can't find a site that sells OCTX-300's. Does anybody know what the footprint is on it? This is definately much bigger than a NWB 200. If I can borrow my mommy-in-law's camara, I will post pics of the skimmer and instructions. If it is the right skimmer that the dude gave me, I feel like I ripped him off...

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That is the skimmer that I got. The dude got back to me. He said he sent the receipt for the skimmer with the wheel mesh. I looked and sure enough is the receipt. He bought the skimmer $268.00. The receipt says he bought a NWS 200, though. That isn't what I got. I got the OCTX-300. Was wondering if they sent the wrong one to the guy? Anyways, I scored a great deal on that. I hope it fits in my sump, or I might have to trade for a smaller one. I don't want to trade because it looks like a great skimmer for my 150g. But it's useless to me if I can't get it in my sump. Unless any of you have any ideas in case it doesn't fit...

Last edited:

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I believe a 55 is 12 inches inside width.
ok, so the skimmer has a body diameter of 11.8 inches and it's footprint is 17.3 x 12.2 inches. Will I be able to cram this in my sump? Or will i have to get a bigger sump? I will tear it down here in a little bit to see if it will fit. Does any of you have one of these in a 55g sump? Do any of you have one of these at all and what is it in?

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
ok, so the skimmer has a body diameter of 11.8 inches and it's footprint is 17.3 x 12.2 inches. Will I be able to cram this in my sump?
Doesn't look good, BUT why is it 12.2 vs. 11.8...is it the width of the pumps? or the return? set it up outside the tank and see if anything can be 'adjusted'
Do any of you have one of these at all and what is it in?
I just sold my Octopus 250 recirculating skimmer, it was GREAT for the past 3 years, but I'm upgrading my system and needed a larger skimmer

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Doesn't look good, BUT why is it 12.2 vs. 11.8...is it the width of the pumps? or the return? set it up outside the tank and see if anything can be 'adjusted'

I just sold my Octopus 250 recirculating skimmer, it was GREAT for the past 3 years, but I'm upgrading my system and needed a larger skimmer
I already set it up on the kitchen table. The pumps are on there with stiff acrylic tubes. They don't go in any further. I might have to buy a bigger sump. Or one with a bigger width. I think the the way the pumps are, they are wider than the skimmer body.

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
The tubes are on there pretty good. Don't think I can get them off. But if I can get the pumps off and put some flexible tubing on the pipes, it might make them fit better. I guess it's off to Lowe's after I find out if the body fits in my sump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: