J

Jeffrey Leibstein

I just purchased a piece of live rock from a local store. The rock did not come from a tank of cured rock. It was in a display tank.
I was looking for a specific shape. The rock appears to have been in this tank for a long time.
I have seen lot's of living things on the rock. Is this going to be a problem introducing this into my clean tank.
I may have seen a worm or two (flat and round). It had a few pieces of Aiptasia.
Currently sitting in a bucket with tank water (In isolation).
What is a new hobbist to do?

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I would if they are flatworms- not sure if they are but you can use Salifert flatworm exit in the container its in to kill them if they are flatworms. Aptasia- theres a lot of things on the market - joes juice among them you can try- you can also make a kalk paste and put it on the glass anemone or inject kalkwasser with a syringe directly into the stem of the aptasia. Are a million things people have done to get rid of it- but I would not put that rock in your tank until your sure all pests(not all hitchhikers not all are bad) are off the rock. Why bring problems into a tank that doesnt have any just for the shape of the rock?

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
yea, keep it in a bucket until u identify all of the hitchhikers. then get rid of all the pests. i personally would not add anything like that to my system.

leave a power head in the bucket and kill the aiptasia. if they are traveling and multiplying on that single rock im sure they will do the same in your system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: