ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
hey my 72g tank is ready for a sump upgrade. the tank i want to use for my new sump is too big to fit under my tank because that center beam between the two cabnits on the stand is in the way. i wanted to know how much support is on that single beam if i took it off for like 5 minutes just to put the new sump in. possible for tank to tip? i could have someone left gentally up there if it is a main support. i just wanted to know how much support is on that beam. does not feel like alot but id rather be safe then sorry...

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
i could have someone left gentally up there if it is a main support. i just wanted to know how much support is on that beam. does not feel like alot but id rather be safe then sorry...
Are you serious? if it is a 'main' support, you'll need superman, to stop by to lift it! 72g tank, water, rock and sand, will weigh almost 1000lbs...and if it drops, only slightly, the tank could crack, and blow out, taking your head with it! Doesn't sound like a good idea, with a full tank. Just the process of removing the beam, could cause a problem.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well thats the thing because it does not look like a main support beam. its kinda flimzy. the board goes up, then it attached to another board going across to the back of the tank. that board is not even touching the bottom of the tank though.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
ill put it to you this way.. my 92g bowfronts center suport fell out the other day bc i closed the door too hard and it pushed it out.. i thought i was eating a tank.. it drooped almost 1/2" i had to drain the tank to almost empty and then pull it up to make it fit back it.. i was cared to death.. thank god the door held the weight or it woulda came down!!!!
418ea351.jpg

Audi0s

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I took my center brace out as well on my 75. It wasnt really a brace though, it didnt even touch any support beams. My stand looks like the pic above, its not bowing, I checked with a level. I also put a piece of 3/4" plywood to seal the top, make it more sturdy. Its a regular pine stand.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
A bow front would be more dependant on the middle support than a rectangular tank.
I saw someone post a thread on another website about temporarily removing the support.
They made a horizontal brace in the back of the stand then used a 4x4 perpendicular to the tank to take the weight off the front using a Jack. After they finished they replaced the support.
Would I recommend this? NEVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well i pulled it off. took a car jack and made it level with the tank and popped it out. thanks everyone though. u were right. when it came out i could tell pressure was on the jack!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: