duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
so i decided this morning around 11 to mess around with my fuge.did alittle cleaning messed with the flow and turned my chaeto around.when i noticed i had some caulerpa growing.now i havent added new chaeto in ahile and i did pull out alot of caulerpa awhile ago cause i was having cloudiness due to them going asexual.but i left it alone because people told me only in the right conditions will it do this.i went inside watched a movie played some games.when i came back inside the tank room i noticed my tank clouded up.now i did not due anything to the tank except move the chaeto and things that would not disturb a thing.i think from messing with the cauklerpa it did it again.went through the chaeto and picked out all the caulerpa.i put new carbon in about an hour ago and it seems to be clearing up.at least the film at the top of the tank is going away..so when you do get cloudy water check the caulerpa out its the easiest thing and wont bother the system..

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0

It's crazy. There's actually a show on National Geographic or something about this in the Mediterranean Sea.. It's ridiculously invasive, literally taking over miles and miles of possible reef areas. They have positively linked it (through DNA) to an aquarium strain bread specifically for saltwater aquariums.

They've also seen an increase in this algae in the Pacific ocean.

That, along with it 'going asexual' is reason enough to not only refrain from using caulerpa in our aquariums, but actively destroy (carefully) it.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I think your water got cloudy from moving things around not from the caulerpa going sexual I used to have caulerpa in my fudge for years and I always disturbed it never noticed anything other than the cloudy water because of the disruption of sediment in the fuge

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
didnt know about all that .but i do know its a menace to my aquarium.it doesnt take a whole lot to stir this caulerpa up to make it go asexual.by the way the cloud has cleared in my tank.

Either you are mistaking the clouding for something else, or your Caulerpa is the pimp daddy of the algae world. I know plenty of people (myself included) who have kept the stuff for years and have never had an issue.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
i knew people where going to say this..i didnt move anything around.i scraped some coraline off.turned the chaeto around like i always do and i turned the flow down alittle on the manifold cause it was to much.i never look at the chaeto but i noticed some small snails and i wnated to see how many where in the chaeto tht is when i noticed thew caulerpa.seriously it happened to me twice and you guys can say what you want,i know what going on.my water never gets a hint of cloud.even adding new sand i didnt get much of a cloud.you dont want to believe thats fine.but i know my system well enough to know caulerpa doesnt work in mine.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I always say "Never Say Never". Strange things happen everyday and sometimes always happen to the same person too.

Just couples days ago, I was told a story with more than 10 eye witnesses(I talked to 4 of them) that an iphone of them will play music by itself and shuts down the home audio system. They cannot start the home audio at all until they shut down the iphone. There were more than one iphone in the room and only that iphone did that. They look to me as their audio god for an answer, so I told them even ghost like to play the iphone jokingly since I don't know why. :sgrin:

So I believe what you said that the caulerpa spawn in your tank even though it's a very rare case.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
every time someone has a cloudy tank i always ask them about there macro.it happened the first time so bad.i didnt know wghat was going on.so i did some internet research and found that this macro is known for going asexual and will cloud up the tank.i took every piece out and ran carbon and in 2 hours i was cleared up.that was 2 1/2 years ago when i had my 30 i believe.so when i noticed the caulerpa again and started looking through the macro i found around a fist full at the bottom of the chaeto.maybe messing around got it feeling sexy i dont know.and boom i came in the room and it was clouded up.i took it all out every last piece i hope this time and boom it cleared up again.so put 1+1 together.its not like i have some other motive to not liking this algae.it didnt sleep with my wife or yell at me about tang in a small aquarium.but it does this for some reason in my setups

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
In the early days of reef keeping (early '80s) "we" grew the algae in the display tank (most of the live rock{covered with ricordea} came from florida), and the caulerpa would go asexual a few times a year...seen it happen while I was standing there, a large section just dissolved in front of me, clouded up the whole tank...that being said, I have 'tons' of this same type, florida feather caulerpa in my 150g sump, lit 24/7 for over 6 years now, and it has NOT happened......YET!

LongIslandAndy

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
+1

in the early days of reef keeping (early '80s) "we" grew the algae in the display tank (most of the live rock{covered with ricordea} came from florida), and the caulerpa would go asexual a few times a year...seen it happen while i was standing there, a large section just dissolved in front of me, clouded up the whole tank...that being said, i have 'tons' of this same type, florida feather caulerpa in my 150g sump, lit 24/7 for over 6 years now, and it has not happened......yet!

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
lamo

Hey duke ur sure u didn't smoke some of that cheato while messin with the sump bro

I could imagin if you have alot of it, that your tank would be cloudy. Idk what your title of this thread means but I hope that person or what ever you are proving shows this to be true.

Rating - 100%
87   0   0
i have caulerpa in my DT, that exact same listed in the link. Its been growing for 6 months with no problems so far. My tang eats it on the regular...ripping and chewing and disturbing the hell out of it. just my little experience so far

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Is it good to have the light on the fuge 24/7? Someone told me its better to have the fuge light come on only when the main tank light goes off.

In the early days of reef keeping (early '80s) "we" grew the algae in the display tank (most of the live rock{covered with ricordea} came from florida), and the caulerpa would go asexual a few times a year...seen it happen while I was standing there, a large section just dissolved in front of me, clouded up the whole tank...that being said, I have 'tons' of this same type, florida feather caulerpa in my 150g sump, lit 24/7 for over 6 years now, and it has NOT happened......YET!

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Is it good to have the light on the fuge 24/7? Someone told me its better to have the fuge light come on only when the main tank light goes off.
can only tell you that, the lights have been on 24/7 for about 6 years, without problem...not sure where I read it, years ago, but the plan was that 24/7 lighting would prevent the caulerpa going asexual!
The reason for your reverse schedule lighting is to keep up your oxygen levels.

zook

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love macro algae and have a tank full of them including a few Caulerpa species. Not saying that I'm an expert, but the only reason I know that causes Caulerpa to go sexual is that it's about to die; it's a defense mechanism that causes it to release its gametes. Even with this said though, I've seen my Caulerpa dies and it never seem to release anything.

3853946855_5615bde195.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
It really depends on the species whether it will foul your water or not. The grape caulerpa that Duke is referring to is IME very prone to going sexual and will certainly cloud your water when it does. Of course how much you have and how big your system is are factors as well.

Zook--- really nice Macroalgae tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: