JARRETT SHARK

Addicted to coral
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I have total of 4 shrimps and my XL cleaner shrimp was found dead today?
He even lived thru copper when i had the problem in my tank and was with me from the start of my tank?
Do they not live that long?
All my levels are in check like they were yersterday?
The only thing I could think is that I dosed some magnesium yesterday but not alot to kill him. I was at 1300 and brought it up to 1350
But why are all my other shrimp fine?
I even have another cleaner who is doing great today. I see no sign of a fish picked at him? He eat like a pig everyday. very strange??
He even shed his shell 5 days ago.
whats your imput!!!

Alk= 9.8
calcuim = 490
mag = 1350
sality = 1.25
ph = 8.2

Reef Greek

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Shrimp can and often do live way longer than 2 years. Do you ever dose iodine? If not maybe it had to molt and couldn't. Iodine is needed to molt. Lugols solution is an easy and effective way to dose iodine and isn't costly, about 8 dollars will dose a 100 gal tank for a year or more. I find my inverts do better with it as do my xenia which go crazy when I dose the tank.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I've had my red fire shrimp and my skunk cleaner shrimp for 3 years now and i've never dosed iodine, And haven't actually changed the water in the past 2 years. Granted my total tank volume exceeds 150 gallons and these 2 are the only shrimp I have left. But I think it may have been from opportunistic infighting with the shrimp. They're all getting too big and the one that molted was weak so they attacked.

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0

I have a 33 gallon tank as a sump jam packed with live rock. and a 29 gallon tank with a 5 inch deep sand bed and also packed with rock on top of it. I have a 20 galon tank as a skimmer tank, and the main is 90 gallons.

The sumps are jam packed with feather dusters and other critters. And the live stock is only 4 clownfish, 3 PJ Cardinals, the 2 shrimp, and a clean up crew. I also had 2 two spot gobies too, but they died last year (I assume cause I don't see either one anymore) when my parents started only feeding flake.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey Jarrett I had a weird cleaner shrimp upsetment-miracle-upsetment in my biocube about a year ago<--will explain the weirdo terms lol.

I had a cleaner shrimp- was doing ok for a few months- had bad LFS info on how to "properly" run a tank. Any way I saw my cleaner one day- eating like an animal when I fed the tank that day- was crawling around doing its thing fine. I come out the next day- on it's back dead on the sandbed so I thought. It wasnt moving and the only reason the hermits couldnt get it is cause of the flow blowing it around along the sandbed. I figured Id leave it in and let the hermits devour him. The next day I look and there he is on the rock chillin like a villian. Looked around no shell or anything so I know he wasnt just molting he was DEAD the day prior- He was ok for the next week or so, was a little weak and didnt scurry as quick as he used to but would eat- then came out one day-DEAD AGAIN- except this time the hermits were eating him. To this day I think I had the semi-Jesus of the invertebrate world!! LOL

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: