Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
So, I think I'm going to convert my tank to FO. Well, not that harsh. Basically, it's hard to dig oneself out of credit card debt with huge metal halide inspired electricity bills. So I think I'll start converting my tank to corals that don't need MH lighting. I have 110watts in T5s on the tank and that'll have to be enough. So, what do you folks suggest for a just a bit over a single watt per gallon set-up? Sun coral? Mushrooms? I'm hoping the Colt would be ok because my Clown lives in it! :( What else?

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Really? The T5s are in my light fixture. The fixture has 2 55w T5s, and 2 MHs. I'll just be keeping the MHs off. You think froggie, brain, shrooms (including rics) would be ok just under the T5s? I mean, I can help them out by turning on the MHs for an hour a day or something...

The anemones and clams will definitely have to go, though. :(

Dmitry

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The tank is 18 deep. It's a 72bow.

I'm trying to think of all these alternatives. Could one get away with using MHs for, say, 1 hour a day and the T5s the other 10? Would 1 hour be enough time for anemones and clams to catch rays to sustain themselves, or is that pushing it?

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
hi dimitry,

there are many people who have slowly cut their mh photo period to 2 hrs per day and their atinics 4 hrs. i have have reduce mine to 4 and 6, i leave my lights on longer for viewing.

-steve

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: