Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok guys just got home from FL and found my tank green as in green like nemo when the filters got clogged what do i do? i did a 40% water change this morning and no luck so far...put the power heads lower now to see if that works but am stumped, lucky the fish are ok .......

any suggestions?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Run either some carbon or poly pads and do a couple of small water changes, 10%-20%, over the next couple of days. If this is a fish tank or Fowlr then I wouldn't worry about it to much as it's just an algae bloom or algae growing in the tank. If the fish are ok then you should be fine.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks

Yeah well its a FOLWR thank god for that but yeah its def a green algae bloom of some kind, def need more poly pad and carbon have min in the sump section but wondering how long i should wait to do another water change? Just did one this morning, pretty major one...

House thanks for the offer i will see what happens in the next couple of days and let you know if it still is cloudy green.....

All levels are ok though only a green cloudy mess....

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I wouldn't worry about it to much as the fish seem to be find and it's just a viewing problem. I would do a water change tomorrow and then the next day and with the carbon that should get the green out of the water. Also clean out any filter pads and replace them.

I had the same thing happen to me when I wa away for 2 weeks and it took quite a # of water changes, over a of weeks, to get the tank looking clear again.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Help

Day 2 now and did another water change somewhat smaller than yesterday put the power heads lower and put new carbon/poly pad inside sump still very very cloudy and green what should i do? I mean it seems as if only an 80% water change would fix this!

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Chris5 said:
Day 2 now and did another water change somewhat smaller than yesterday put the power heads lower and put new carbon/poly pad inside sump still very very cloudy and green what should i do? I mean it seems as if only an 80% water change would fix this!

I had a friend with the same problem. His water was solid green! Changing ALL the water is the quickest way to fix this problem unless you want to buy expensive equipment like a big UV or skimmer. I never tried a diatom filter, maybe that might work also.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: