Zoa protection

greenycrew

New member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Location
NJ
How many of you actually use a faceshield and gloves when fragging zoas? I almost always wear gloves when touching them, but have never even thought of buying a faceshield.
 

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I always wear gloves when I have to touch them if they fall over or something. I'm a little paranoid though about the palytoxin :theyareon. I'm sure there's a lot of people that touch them sans gloves and are fine.
 

KathyC

Moderator
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Location
Barnum Island
I also wear gloves when handling zoas. I do have a full face shield and if I was doing a lot of fragging I would use it. Usually I just wear my glasses when handling them.
 

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i go bareback... lol i dont use anything.. have nexer had any issues with them.. but i dont handle them roughly and if i have cuts on my hands i wont handle anything bc i have gotten a bad infection from having an open wund.. but have no idea from what
 

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
their toxin make you very sick if yo injest it, or fatal to dogs if they do. so dont let your dog eat one..lol but also if you have an open wound and they secrete their toxin you cvan get very ill, from a mild headache to severe flu like symptoms.. i believe.. anyone feel free to correct me if im wrong or missed something
 

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
from wickepedia


Some zoanthids contain the highly toxic substance palytoxin. Palytoxin is one of the most toxic organic substances in the world, but there is an ongoing debate over the concentration of this toxin in these animals.[citation needed] However, even in small quantities, the toxin can be fatal should it be ingested or enter the blood stream. If delivered immediately, vasodilators injected into the ventricle of the heart can act as an antidote.[1]
In order for this toxin to be dangerous to humans, the average aquarist would need to ingest the zoanthid in sufficient quantities, or brush a recent cut over it. Average handling, propagation and aquarium maintenance is unlikely to pose any danger beyond a localized skin reaction.[citation needed]
Palytoxin is a tumor promoter, and is being studied in relation to signaling pathways in skin cancer genesis. [7] Contrary to common belief, palytoxin can be absorbed through intact skin. [8] The danger of acute poisoning from venomous zoanthids is quite real. An aquarist was poisoned through skin injuries on fingers by a Parazoanthus species, but recovered after 3 days. His zoanthid was found to contain 2-3 milligram of palytoxin per gram. [9] For comparison, the intravenous LD50 dose of palytoxin for a grown man is less than 8 microgram. Thus each gram of the offending zoanthid contained enough venom to kill at least 125 grown men.
 

Madman05705

New member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Location
brooklyn
I'm so paranoid rite now I touched them earlier cas my pink tail trigger knock them down n I saw some white stuff in the water n I payed no mind to it n I have a scratch on my finger so far nothing happening but I'm so nervouse can some 1 plz give me the run down on wat corals to stay away from that have poison like this ??


Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
 

FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Madman05705 said:
I'm so paranoid rite now I touched them earlier cas my pink tail trigger knock them down n I saw some white stuff in the water n I payed no mind to it n I have a scratch on my finger so far nothing happening but I'm so nervouse can some 1 plz give me the run down on wat corals to stay away from that have poison like this ??


Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
Madman, I've felt the effects of palytoxin via an open wound in my hand. Trust me, you know you've been poisoned almost immediately. I'm sure you're fine.


Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
 

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Location
New York
If you are just relocting them around the tank you are fine. You stand a much greater chance of being stung by a bristle worm.


Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
 

Madman05705

New member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Location
brooklyn
motortrendz said:
Imbare, now u did it mad man is never gonna stick his hand in a tank again!...I think we,ve lost one! Lol
You damn rite I'm done with this if I get stung by a bee i'm in the hospital for a week imagine this stuff is there other corals I need to be aware of plz let me no guys thank. Especially the ones wit the palytoxin : x ???


Sent from my iPhone using Reefs
 

Featured Sponsors


Top