Manhattan Reefs

Welcome to Manhattan Reefs, the premier website for coral reef aquarium owners in the New York City area.

You are not currently logged in to our site so you may not be able to access all of the wonderful content and features that we offer. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact support.

User Name
Password
   Home Forums Market Chat Stores Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read About MR

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Reefer Ratings: (4 (100%)
Friends: (3)
Send a Private Message
Warning regarding longspined urchins (Diadema sp?)

I got one of these recently, 'cause they're neat and I had hoped that it would mow down my bryopsis. In the week or so it was in my tank it managed to rub the flesh off of chunks of several acro frags with its spines (observed in action,) chew off a hunk of a montipora (possibly undata)(seriously, chewed a chunk off the skeleton. Not observed, but there's nothing else in my tank that I can think of that has jaws capable of that,) stripped the flesh off part of another montipora, (observed in action,) and I have a feeling that it also may have killed or help kill most of the other montiporas in my tank, through feeding actions or through poking them with its spines. (I -did- find monti eating nudis in my tank, but I haven't seen any of them in the tank or on the monti frags, during the day or at night, for about a week, and I think most of them have been consumed by new tank additions. A lot of the flesh loss doesn't correspond with the way that nudis eat the corals, either.)

Between this and the nudis, pretty much all of my montis are toast. A few of them show flesh in the polyp-holes, so I'm hoping they may pull a lazarus. All of my acros are damaged but they shouldn't have a real problem recovering unless they RTN or something.

This urchin was one of the types with a black/grey **** bulb, and thin, attractive, neon-blue stripes (not dots) that appeared to run along the places where the plates that make up the test join. It had the usual jet black, long, sharp-assed and venomous spines.

And the mother-fragging SOB didn't even freaking eat the bryopsis.

Did I get some kind of evil urchin species masquerading as a diadema?

Last edited by SevTT; 05-07-2010 at 12:09 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Reefer Ratings: (16 (100%)
Friends: (23)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
wow man that sucks! soooooo is it still in the tank? got a pic of the urchin so we know to make a note to not ever be interested in purchasing one? sorry about that man. hope it grows back ok

Solana System...
My OLD Set Ups...
My Old 57 Rimless Reef Tank...
My Old 46G Bow Front Reef Tank...
My OLDER 46G Bow Front Tank...
My Old 29G Bio Cube Reef Tank...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangrieder View Post
wow man that sucks! soooooo is it still in the tank? got a pic of the urchin so we know to make a note to not ever be interested in purchasing one? sorry about that man. hope it grows back ok
Naw, it's not in the tank any more, I tossed it into a 29 that I'm in the process of slowly breaking down but which is still fully functional at the moment.

Here's a crappy pic from when it was in the tank:

Old 05-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Friends: (23)
Send a Private Message My Facebook
wow and hes only a little guy too that did all this huh? damn. id be using each spine as a tooth pic after he did all that to the coral!

Solana System...
My OLD Set Ups...
My Old 57 Rimless Reef Tank...
My Old 46G Bow Front Reef Tank...
My OLDER 46G Bow Front Tank...
My Old 29G Bio Cube Reef Tank...
Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Send a Private Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangrieder View Post
wow and hes only a little guy too that did all this huh? damn. id be using each spine as a tooth pic after he did all that to the coral!

All I can say is: thank god this tank was pretty much all populated with frags from the swap, and all of my monti frags were relatively cheap, so the financial loss was less than it could've been.

On the other hand, I'm -really- gonna be annoyed if the Montipora samerensis I bought doesn't pull through, 'cause that was just a really good-looking piece.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Dre
Reefer Ratings: (95 (100%)
Friends: (15)
Send a Private Message
It's a pitty you didn't ask fellow reefers about urchins before you bought it .They are indiscriminate eaters too man.They eat live rock and coraline algae as well.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Reefer Ratings: (15 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
Yeah Urchins really chew through anything that has algae on it, but don't blame the urchin just yet because i've had a bout of monti eating nudibranches before and they do leave "bite" marks also.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Reefer Ratings: (14 (100%)
Friends: (12)
Send a Private Message
Wow!!! You need to take it out. I have one, 6 inches wide and it mowed down my clove polyps as soon as I put him in the tank. It will destroy your tank.

Last edited by Lionfish718; 05-07-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: .
Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
MR's Greatest Member
Reefer Ratings: (21 (100%)
Friends: (18)
Send a Private Message
Who told you that it will eat Bryopsis?? Whoever did told you a nice big fat lie. I would take it back and tell them I want my money back. Although they most likey won't do that.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Friends: (0)
Send a Private Message
I have two pencil urchins, but I keep them in the sump with all the life rock and a few brittle stars. I learned my lesson in fast when they overturned few small rocks that caused my reef imitation construction to crash. Since than they both are residents of my sump (almost 2 years) grazing on life rocks algae. Now we all happy, well at least I am.