Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We have baby brittle stars all over our tank. They are very tiny. Most probably won't make it. What do I feed baby starfish to at least ensure that some of them live? (I guess our big brittle star is a Wenda instead of a Waldo)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
+1 pn what he said :)

They are probably brown wiith black stripes...extremely common. IF you happen to be seeing a lot of them at the same time, they might be spawning.
They tend to gather in one area and you see a lot of little arms sticking up out of the rock when this happens.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have seen my white micro brittle stars eat everyting from flake food to cyclopeez.
When I cycled my tank with sand from my other I saw one attack a large flake. The current picked it up and the star went for a ride around the tank. It was the coolest thing in my tank for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Lunareclipse

Fishes are cuddly
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
+1 pn what he said :)

They are probably brown wiith black stripes...extremely common. IF you happen to be seeing a lot of them at the same time, they might be spawning.
They tend to gather in one area and you see a lot of little arms sticking up out of the rock when this happens.
They are all white and scattered all over that tank. All I see is little white legs sticking out of all of the rocks and out from under the shells. So these starfish stay tiny and don't grow? And they don't need a special tiny starfish diet? They just eat whatever I throw in?

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
They are all white and scattered all over that tank. All I see is little white legs sticking out of all of the rocks and out from under the shells. So these starfish stay tiny and don't grow? And they don't need a special tiny starfish diet? They just eat whatever I throw in?

Ah, you have the white ones :)
Nope, they will eat the leftovers the fish miss and any other interesting tid-bits they can find.
..and yes, they stay that size. Great for your tank!!

The white ones are interesting as they roll up into a little ball when they are bothered by something, as opposed to regular star fish which become rigid when they are touched (not so with micro brittle stars for whatever reason, which also stay 'loose')

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: