• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Help, i just found out that my 125g is leaking. I have an extra 55g. Is there anyway to get another 125g tank quick????

Any suggestion is welcome.... Is it gonna blow up and flood my apt or is it just gonna keep leaking?

2004turbo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If you cant empty it out immediately at least lower the water level to lower the pressure on the seam. I'm sure a petco or other big name store would have a 125 in stock, try craigslist too.

tjake68

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
go to home depot get this stuff calledwater weld its an epoxy by jb weld it works with water coming out or if its wet donot put it in tank use it on the outside it will cure in twenty minutes i just used it on a leeking tank it works awsome just read instructions its simple to use its like playdoe u can reefberry me and i can help u

armani4o3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
i have a non rr 125 in my basement i could sell u but im located in pa was just in nyc this morning could have droped off if i seen this b4 i left but you are welcome to pick up if u need asap

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
you can also the marineland or any other brand of aquarium epoxy any fish carries them that's what i used when my 56 gallon quarantine tank cracked the front glass its been 5 months and still holding water

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions...i just emptied out the 125. Put everything in 55. Good thing i don't have alot of fish. Do you guys think i can seal it with silicone?

If i get a new one, what brand is good. Is AGA affordable? I like oceanics but they are pricey. Where can I get the one with built in overflow box?

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion... I have an extra tube of marineland silicone. I'm thinking about drying out the tank and put silicone all around again...

go to home depot get this stuff calledwater weld its an epoxy by jb weld it works with water coming out or if its wet donot put it in tank use it on the outside it will cure in twenty minutes i just used it on a leeking tank it works awsome just read instructions its simple to use its like playdoe u can reefberry me and i can help u

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First where is it leaking from? Second, yes you can reseal it but you need to remove the silicone around the leaking area and then clean it off really good, use alcohol to clean it. You can then reseal it with silicone, just make sure you get the type that doesn't have the mildew killer in it. Once you reseal it you're going to need to let it cure for 48 hours before you can refill it.

Depending on where the leak it, like the bottom,you may need to remove a large part of the silicone and then reseal it. There isn't a quick fix here, as you need to do it right as it needs to hold all that water.

Last edited:

pyekhine

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I found the leak. the original silicone peeled off. I built my own 30g sump. It is the same process to reseal it, right? Clean it good, take out the silicone around and reseal it. Then wait 2 full days and test for leak again.

Can I take out all the old silicone and reseal it? I don't really want to do this process again..

First where is it leaking from? Second, yes you can reseal it but you need to remove the silicone around the leaking area and then clean it off really good, use alcohol to clean it. You can then reseal it with silicone, just make sure you get the type that doesn't have the mildew killer in it. Once you reseal it you're going to need to let it cure for 48 hours before you can refill it.

Depending on where the leak it, like the bottom,you may need to remove a large part of the silicone and then reseal it. There isn't a quick fix here, as you need to do it right as it needs to hold all that water.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you're going to do the whole tank you need to remove all the silicone, clean it with alcohol and then get clamps to whole it together once you seal it. If the silicone is that bad on the rest of the tank it's probably better to get a new tank and sell the old tank as a snake of reptile tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: