• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BHDMC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Some people would use a filter sock to filter water from the display tank to the sump. some do not. You would need to change this filter sock once every 3 to 5 days, otherwise it becomes a nitrate sink.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Some people would use a filter sock to filter water from the display tank to the sump. some do not. You would need to change this filter sock once every 3 to 5 days, otherwise it becomes a nitrate sink.
I'm talking about water from the sump to the dt, rather than fromt the dt to the sump, but you raise a point I've been thinking about too. I had filter socks on my overflow from the dt but got tired of having to change/clean every couple of days so I ran without it. The result was that the sump chamber being fed from the dt had all sorts of gunk.

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
External pump fed thru a 2"bulkhead and strainer. in addition, I have a 200 micron sock. I clean the sock every 3-4 days and the strainer every week.

Thane
Thane, do you find that the return chamber of your sump stays clean or do you have debris on the floor? Is it that the height of the bulkhead prevents the settled debris from being sucked into the pump, even with the strainer?

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
I know that at least some submersibles have an internal prefilter sponge. My pump did and maintaining it became as tiresome as changing filter socks. What pump do you use?

I've been running a Mag 9.5 as my return for all this time. It doesn't have the internal sponge prefilter you mentioned. When this pump dies I will replace it with something much more environmentally conscious (read lower wattage) next time, even though it has been a great pump and virtually bulletproof.

Russ

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Why are you so concerned if refugium critters get into the display? DO you mean pods and stuff or snails? Snails are probably too big to get sucked into your pump I would think, and pods are a good thing.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I've been running a Mag 9.5 as my return for all this time. It doesn't have the internal sponge prefilter you mentioned. When this pump dies I will replace it with something much more environmentally conscious (read lower wattage) next time, even though it has been a great pump and virtually bulletproof.

Russ

My mag9.5 came with this:
206417.jpg

Good for keeping large snails out I guess. You'll wait a long time for that mag9.5 to die. I never even cleaned mine in the 6+ years its been running and never had any issues with it. Just wish it was more power efficient

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
Why are you so concerned if refugium critters get into the display? DO you mean pods and stuff or snails? Snails are probably too big to get sucked into your pump I would think, and pods are a good thing.
I'm concerned about pump blockage primarily. If this is not a likely risk then that's fine. I'm just trying to learn from other's experience especially as I'm thinking through options for the sump for my 120g upgrade.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My mag9.5 came with this:
206417.jpg

Good for keeping large snails out I guess. You'll wait a long time for that mag9.5 to die. I never even cleaned mine in the 6+ years its been running and never had any issues with it. Just wish it was more power efficient

Mine came with that prefilter too. I never used it though.

I know what you mean about this pump running forever. That's what I meant by bulletproof. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

swimmer

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: