xxnonamexx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 gal FOWLR and started to add liquid calcium to get coraline algae on my live rock. Is there anything else I should add to get my rock covered with Coraline algae? I also add every other day liquid reactor. Thanks

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
You should test the water to have proper alk and calcium. Just adding calcium doesn't mean you have proper calcium, could be too much or too little. Also, coraline likes flow, so the more flow the better. They also like light

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Moderate water flow ,low nitrate and B-Ionic Cal/Alk do it for me.As stated above test and test for pH as well because some of these produces have a buffing effect.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
You should have at least 1 piece of live rock that has nice Coraline Algae on it to seed it.

I knew a reefer, who had rock 3 years in his tank, without Coraline. Told him about seeding it, and few months later, tank started to show nice Coraline.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Is there anything else I should add to get my rock covered with Coraline algae?

I have a method of getting coraline that I promise will work...

1. Set up your tank
2. Maintain excellent water quality and adequate flow.
3. Wait

Trust me on this one... oh and the next steps are:

1. Scrape coraline off the glass weekly, cursing as you do so.
2. Soak powerheads in vinegar every few months to get the coraline off (cursing again as you do so).
3. Ask yourself why the hell you were so desperate for coraline in the first place. Curse as needed.
4. Curse a bit more.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I have a method of getting coraline that I promise will work...

1. Set up your tank
2. Maintain excellent water quality and adequate flow.
3. Wait

Trust me on this one... oh and the next steps are:

1. Scrape coraline off the glass weekly, cursing as you do so.
2. Soak powerheads in vinegar every few months to get the coraline off (cursing again as you do so).
3. Ask yourself why the hell you were so desperate for coraline in the first place. Curse as needed.
4. Curse a bit more.
Lmao, i was going to ask why he wanted coraline algae in his FOWLR but to each is his own.Whatever float's your boat.

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
As a tidbit.

Years ago, I bought Premium Live Tonga branch rock. Had the best Coraline you ever saw. Since that time, that rock has seeded any rock I have in the tank.

I set up a new nano tank about 2 months ago with fresh cured live rock and 2 pieces from my own tank that had full coraline. After 2 months, I already see coraline starting to spread on the other rock.

BTW, this tank is a nano tank. I have not added calcium or anything.

Some types of rock, such as Fuji, may take a little longer to show nice coraline, possibly a year, but for the most part, like in my display tank, I can take a dead base rock and have it turn color quickly.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Some things that will encourage its growth;

When you see it start to grow, scrape it off. It will flow around the tank and seed this way.
You could get a piece of well covered coraline live rock and scrape some of it off into your tank, this does the same thing.
Certain snails are covered in it, Margarita snails especially, they can spread it very quickly.

Just like any other algae, it needs the right conditions to grow. Adding anything to a tank that does not have these conditions is a waste of time and a dangerous practice in the long run.
Good water and patience will grow coraline quickly.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Here is B-Ionic at it's best you don't need to scrape a thing ,the coraline spores flow through the water column.You will notice coraline algae inside overflow boxes as well.As far as Purple up goes ,there is nothing mistical or magical about it ,it's liquid calcium.
p2260350.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: