anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
Well my wife has her friend come over tonight so I say to my self ok this is great why not change out my gfo and carbon in the reactor, so I start cleaning out the chambers and put them in, I notice that my tank is running 78 I like to keep the tank at 80 so I plug in the heater.

Now things get intresting, I touch the water and I get shocked badly. I have grown probes in the tank. So I turn off all in the sump and I am still getting shocked, so I turn off everything except the vortech and I was not getting shoocked so I plugged in thing one at a time and the dam heater went in the tank.

I am very happy I found out about this today and when I was doing tank maintaince. So you can say I was realy lucky I went over to my firends house and if I dident pull the skimmer or do the maintaince tonight I would have come home to or woke up to a crash.

:shhh:

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Anthony,

I had a heater damage a while back, but did not catch the issue until, many corals were badly damaged. And that was also with running 3 heaters. 2 in display tank and one in sump and also a controller. I finally figured it out, when it exploded in tank.

I used to get a shock every once in a while, and did not pin down the problem until it was too late.

Glad you caught it in time.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Glad you caught it before you suffered any losses Anthony. I have been lucky with my heaters I havent had on go on me yet, but Im sure I will sooner or later. One of my IceCap ballasts blew before I had a heater give me problems, would have never banked on that happening

rickytsui

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
ant is alway the heater i had a bad heater that the wire pop out of the heater and it was just zipping my water and u can see the somke coming out of the water it was really bad so now i alway check my heater if i dont need them dont even brother just take them out

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
glad to hear it was just the heater and you caught it in time....I've gotten shocked many times and usually it's a heater....only once was it strong enough to kill corals....but why do you want to keep 80*, when 78* is fine without a heater? This time of year I'm trying to cool the tank not heat it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: