gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the process has began. I recently moved. I have the perfect location for in-wall system with plenty of room behind it for support system. The question is, what tank do I do I want to go with? I really don't have a pref. right now between a four and six foot long tank. I do like tall and deep tanks. I won't go with a tank that is less than 24" tall or deep. I 'think' I would like a tank that is 28" or so tall and 30" front/back. I am 6ft 1 so I have the longer arms to reach the bottom of the tank. I will be able to get into the tank from the sides and back of the tank. I don't want to put an access panel on the front of the tank for appearance sake. I want to put a picture frame around the tank with a ledge/bar at the bottom -so set a fermented product on while I admire my creation, lol. I want to go with the 'island' or pillar look and have a lot of open sand bed for zoo's, blasto's, and other varied lps's. I like monti caps and and just a few sps (I know, I just peed in the pool on that one, but more of a lps type of guy with some sps here and there). I have a 150 gallon stock tank that will host a couple hundred pounds of live rock, my EuroReef skimmer, a small turf scubber, frag shelf, etc. I am running three separate electrical lines with two boxes each for lights, pumps, heaters, etc. evenly spread out on them. So, thoughts? suggestions? I have had a reef system for 6 years now, so not a newbie, but still like suggestions.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I really don't have a pref. right now between a four and six foot long tank. I do like tall and deep tanks. I won't go with a tank that is less than 24" tall or deep. I 'think' I would like a tank that is 28" or so tall and 30" front/back.
I am presently operating 3', 4', 5' and 8' tanks...IMO...you should definitely go with a min. 6 ft. tank...72"X30"X28"h (260G), believe me, if you can do 6 to 8 ft, the fish will thank you. Since I've moved my tangs into the 8' tank (8'X40"X27"h, 450g), I can see the difference in their 'happiness'. All the fish, are loving the extra swim room!

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gholtmeyer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I know that the fish would be better off in a longer tank. But, (here I go again, offending the reef gods, lol) but I prob will not have tangs in my tank. There, I said it. They are sweet looking fish, and buddies have a bunch in their tanks. So, I might zig instead of zagging. Have seen a reef tank full of three spot damsels, was really a cool looking tank. If I go with a school of 10+ fish, maybe even two schools, I could go with a 4 foot tank that is 28" front to back and 28 or so tall? So, I could go with a shorter tank for the smaller fish, correct?

I am presently operating 3', 4', 5' and 8' tanks...IMO...you should definitely go with a min. 6 ft. tank...72"X30"X28"h (260G), believe me, if you can do 6 to 8 ft, the fish will thank you. Since I've moved my tangs into the 8' tank (8'X40"X27"h, 450g), I can see the difference in their 'happiness'. All the fish, are loving the extra swim room!

Last edited:

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You could go for any size you want; it depends on what you want to do. Can you keep small fish in a "small" tank... well, it depends on the fish, but almost any fish will appreciate more room. Regardless, you're better off going big because you'll always want "just one more fish/coral."

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: