Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Algae Bloom Fight-Pic Included...

Ok well after much decision i figured what can hurt if i hook up a bad ass UV sterlizer and see what happens.....connections are in place and its up and running will let everyone know results in couple of hours....

Last edited:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
LoL thanks dude, hopefully this works enough so i dont have to take apart the whole tank.........does anyone know how long it will take to clear?

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
When did you first set up the tank. If the tank setup was recent an algae bloom is part of the natural cycle.

If the tank is older in age rather than adding equipment to combat the algae is rather useless. You want to find the source and eliminate that. Getting rid of the source will solve your algae algae woes the quickest and permanently. Dont waste your money on chemicals and more equipment.

There are plenty of so called experts that will give you advice that will just frustrate you more. Where they get the advice without knowing the circumstances of your tank is beyond me.

Give us an account of your tank as detailed as possible starting whith where you get your water from. Is it tap water or RODI? What size is your tank? What species you keep in there. Filtration and other equipment and lighting. Be as honest as possible when you give your accounts even if you know that you have made mistakes in the past. Trust me, whatever mistakes you have made, we have made them all before too.

If possible make pics of the algae.

Regards,
Herman

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Link

Thanks.....and my only other option at this point is to remove all the sand and rocks replace with new sand and recycle which i dont have the patience for...I have 3 fish .....2 tangs and 1 damsel thats been with me forever.....everything else hasnt survived.....but all levels are fine....tank is green, aka algae bloom and its not the type you get on the rocks because i know that bloom from my 30g that was the nice bloom this is a i cant see anything in the tank green cloudy bloom.....

Attachments

• Green.jpg
    Green.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
hermangareis said:
do we have a Deanos Jr. in the making? Thanks DVS! :tongue1:

LMAO!

There's alot of corrections to be made Chris.
I don't think the UV will do much, if anything. The problem won't be solved.

No RO/DI & you used 50% water from someones tank (did you mix this with your established water?).

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Do you still have the sand in there that was transfered from the old system? Take out a cup of it and notjust from the top. Put it on a try and observe for about 24 hours. Do a sniff test. If it smells like a combination of farts and rotten eggs, you found your problem. Hydrogen Sulfide.

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
DaRealDvs1 said:
LMAO!

There's alot of corrections to be made Chris.
I don't think the UV will do much, if anything.

No RO/DI, used 50% water from someones tank (did you mix this with your established water?).

Water changes will be the start of this battle.

No no no that was in my 30g was saying thats how i cycled my tank so fast and believe it or not that worked amazing i had corals up and growing in 3 months....never had a water problem in that tank...as far as this tank i am beginning to think it may be the sand .....i did use some sand from someone else tank...and alittle of my old sand from the 30g....

and i have done enough water changes to completely recycle the tank already and no help...just turns green again as in picture within 24hrs

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wish i did but am seriously starting to feel bad now and become even more frustrated and about to break down to the tank......its an eye sore in my room now ....i hate to say that but .....

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Chris I had a buddy with a 46gal bowfront, his tank looked just like your's. We tried everything i.e. cheap skimmer, carbon, poly pads, UV, partial water change etc. The only thing that worked was a 100% WC.....which is basically breaking down your whole tank. Your tank is like a bottle of DT's phytoplankton :D
In my friend's tank all his fish and coral remained healthy while the water was solid green.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
jackson6745 said:
Your tank is like a bottle of DT's phytoplankton :D
In my friend's tank all his fish and coral remained healthy while the water was solid green.

In that case sell me a bottle of your water :icon16:

Seriously though, try the cup of the sand thing.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
usually there is no smell right away. Thats why you put it in a tray and observe. Exposure to oxygen will basically cause a reaction and you end up with hydrogen sulfide. That smells like a wet fart and eggs.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Love the description Herman ;).
Yeah, I like to be precise with my descriptions. That way we avoid confusion. Not everyone knows what rotten eggs smell like. But all can differentiate the smells of different kinds of farts ranging from the steamy shower fart to the warm dry farts. Very different smells you know.... :tongue1:

Chris5

Im BaAaAcK
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
hermangareis said:
usually there is no smell right away. Thats why you put it in a tray and observe. Exposure to oxygen will basically cause a reaction and you end up with hydrogen sulfide. That smells like a wet fart and eggs.

Well Just took another cupful and initially it smelled weird but after a couple of seconds nothing, but there was a hint of rotten eggs...but granted i am getting over a cold so i cant smell that great right now but i did smell something funny and it wasnt sea water smell....

and the more i smell it the more it smells like sand/saltwater.....its been sitting for like 5 minutes now only smelled when first taken out .....

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
When hydrogen sulfide is to the point where its toxic, it would really take your breath away in a heartbeat. Although it might not be to the point where its toxic, its still nutrients for the algae

Also, you never gave any readings of ammonia, phosphates, or nitrates. All of which contribute to algae.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: