Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My favorite place on this good earth is on the mend. For the past 6 years I have been taking the family to St. John USVI for our vacations and we have adopted the Island as our defacto home (we spend 51 weeks on Long Island and go 'home' for 1 week a year). I have seen some of the reefs coming back from the 2005 bleaching but here is some real proof - enjoy!
http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/Science_...angrove_secret/mangrove_secret_slideshow.html

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
A couple more pics - I've always thought of planting a coral from my tank on the reef but never did. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• jumbie beach.bmp
    680.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 069.jpg
    Picture 069.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Picture 080.jpg
    Picture 080.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 99

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Will C said:
A couple more pics - I've always thought of planting a coral from my tank on the reef but never did. Any thoughts on this?

Its not a good idea to take things from your tank and put them back in the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Transplanting is a much better idea. Or even better is providing structure for coral to encrust.
I used to sail all over the Carib and StJohn is my favorite place also.
Since you know it is mostly a protected park you are restricted with what you can do. Check with some park rangers about what is allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: