• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I do a lot of sticking my hand into the fish tank - fixing fallen corals, moving them, etc. They all release toxins that I can visually see as like white stringy stuff. After touching the corals I can feel the slime on my fingers. How bad is this for you? Is it only bad if it gets onto you or if it makes contact to exposed flesh? I do feel a little woozy after touching corals so I was wondering how bad it is.

Not zoas by the way. I was reading the stuff about zoas and I haven't had a problem with them. The corals that give me slimy fingers are my monti caps and leathers the most.

Last edited:

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
this is a general subject, and you will find some people more allergic to certain things in our tanks. Your best bet wear gloves. I know a friend that had a tank crash, he decided to clean things out without gloves. at the end of the day due in part to the dead zoa's in the tank, he got so sick he ended up in the hospital. He is fine but has developed better tank cleaning habits.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
There was a post on this and some one died from gettting sting from a coral do a search you will find it .

I believe it was a rabbitfish actually. They're similar to bees in that it's a painful sting unless you're allergic to it, in which case it can be deadly. This goes for most toxic fish including scorpions, lionfish, and a few others.

As far as the corals, palytoxin from zoas is the one you need to be concerned with. I don't wear gloves, but I make sure to wash my hands really well after working in the tank. When fragging corals, it's a good idea to wear gloves and eye protection.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
i believe it was a rabbitfish actually. They're similar to bees in that it's a painful sting unless you're allergic to it, in which case it can be deadly. This goes for most toxic fish including scorpions, lionfish, and a few others.

As far as the corals, palytoxin from zoas is the one you need to be concerned with. I don't wear gloves, but i make sure to wash my hands really well after working in the tank. When fragging corals, it's a good idea to wear gloves and eye protection.

+1

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
So zoas are the most toxic? (not including fish)

From everything I read, it seems a big issue if it squirts in your eyes. On my skin, it has no effect.
There are some corals which stings such as anemones, torches, hammers, etc. Some people feel they are just a little sticky, other people will break out in hives.. depending on how sensitive your skin is. But that is with direct contact and not just slime in the water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: