• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
164   0   0
I know that there's no single answer to many questions in reefing, but I'm hoping (fingers crossed) for a conclusive answer. I know there are those who swear by a dsb in their fuge while others use LR, some use both and yet others who use niether. I'm setting up my fuge and would like to understand if it's worth the effor to set up a dsb, or just use lr, or some other setup. Some say the dsb traps detritus. Is there any type of "set-it-and-forget-it" configuration? I know that if you use macros you'll have to trim every now and again. What's the consensus?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Like you said, there is no single answer, but I will give a few pointers.

The DSB has to be super fine sugar sized/oolitic sand and the thicker the sandbed, the more effective it is... hence why its called DEEP sand bed. The sand is so fine so only super tiny dust particles might get into the sand. Don't expect a fish poop to just slide in. The sandbed should never be stirred or bothered. There are specific bacteria which live in low oxygen convert the nitrates to nitrogen which gets released into the air. A byproduct of that process is surphur. The only limitation is how much sulphur the sandbed can hold before your "set and forget" is compromised, which really depends on your bioload and how much you feed your tank. It can range anywhere from 3-10+ years which is longer then most people keeping their tank before upgrading or quitting the hobby.
DSB can add up to well over 100 pounds of sand

Macro algae is direct export of nutrients. No byproduct, except you need to trim it when it gets too dense. Also requiring a light unlike DSB

Both are limited by the space they take up. If you have a large fuge, both can be equally very effective on lowering the nutrients. I believe most people skimp on the size when they make either one though.

OzoneParkGuy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Hey NL, I have a Deep sand bed and LR in my sump and have no issues at all. I have herms, conchs and brittle stars to handle some of the detritus. The only issue i had was when i had to redo my baffles in the sump disturbing the sb causing a slight spike and my PO4 went up 0.03 As far as detritus it will not get trapped in your sb like you think. The sand is fine and conpressed that most material will just settle on top. It will get trapped on your lr with the pourous holes. But nothing a waterchange can't correct. It's different strokes for different folks. I think it was more of cost for some who decide not to put a dsb or LR.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: