Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Hello when I do my water changes I usually rinse my macro alage that I have in an intank refugium in the bucket of water that I take out it turns the water completely black
Anyway should I rinse the cheto or not
Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Normally, in a separate refugium I would not recommend shaking it out. I bet you're losing a lot of pods and maybe mini stars, in that process. However, in the Solana I guess the chaeto would act like a mechanical (sponge) filter since all the water in the system must flow through it before returning to the tank. Apparently it picks up a ton of detritus. Rinsing the chaeto like you do might help flow and also remove a source of phosphates, nitrates, nutrients.

All-in-one systems like the Solana might need different husbandry techniques to keep things running smooth.

swimmer

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I have a seperate refugium and still rinse it about once a month to remove excess detris....when I was in Hawaii I saw large pillows of it just floating and tumbling around constantly moving...so unless you can deplicate the constant tumbling and moving I just suggest rinsing it once in awhile to remove that trapped detris...

funkmaster

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
That we are on thois topic I always get slime in my fuge and its all over the cheato...does any one know why this happens ....its only in the fuge

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: