brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
Ok I got my leds in today for my DIY led fixture. I went to radio shack and bought 2 fans that has a led built in for my led fixture. My question is what wall plug/ power source do I connect to the fans? And would I need to buy and adapter for them?

Attachments

• F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 90
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 83

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Get a AC/DC transformer (which you can use from an old cordless phone or whatever you can find) which is minimum of 0.38mA (higher is OK)
If you want to connect both fans to 1 transformer, then it'll need to be minimum of the combined amps (.38 x 2 = .76mA = .76A)
and maximum of 12V (lower will make the fan spin slower)

The fan may have 2 or 3 wires, if its 3, the 3rd is speed sensing which is useless. You just need red and black.

brick-brothers

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
338   0   0
ok cool, so i would eliminate the connecter that comes with the fan. Also what about the single wire for the led?

Get a AC/DC transformer (which you can use from an old cordless phone or whatever you can find) which is minimum of 0.38mA (higher is OK)
If you want to connect both fans to 1 transformer, then it'll need to be minimum of the combined amps (.38 x 2 = .76mA = .76A)
and maximum of 12V (lower will make the fan spin slower)

The fan may have 2 or 3 wires, if its 3, the 3rd is speed sensing which is useless. You just need red and black.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I never seen a 120mm fan having a separate wire for the led. try wiring up the fan and turn it on, its likely it'll also turn on the led's. if not, your led's for the tank light should be a good replacement :lol2:

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
also what do you used to spacer would be need to put in between the fan and the heat sink and from the heat sink to the splash guard to protect the leds?
something that is on very tight so it doesn't vibrate when the fan is on. I was able to attach the screws onto the fins of the heatsink.
and you can get a thin piece of acrylic from home depot

lol, the fan i bought has a built in blue led that turns on with the fan turns on. Its pretty cool. Well to me that is.

I assumed that would happen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: